Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation? no poop in 10 days

Unhappy constipation? no poop in 10 days

Help! What should I do?
    He usually averaged 4-5 days between poops but this is the longest.
    I gave him strained prunes today.
    He doesn't eat much solids. He's 9 months old now, still EBF.

Default Re: constipation? no poop in 10 days

10 days? I'd call the dr., thats getting towards the outer edges of normal. Its normal for poops to really start spreading out to five, six, even nine days apart. At a certain point though, its time for a call.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 14th, 2007 at 02:22 AM.

Has he been showing any signs of constipation other than not pooping? Does he seem uncomfortable or fussy? Don't panic just do a search on the web or call a doctor.

what kinds of solids are you giving?
    Sometimes the combo of bananna and cereal just bothers baby.
    My dd cann't have a whole bananna or shes missarable add some cheese and shes sure to have trouble.
    I give my dd a over the counter fiber dose and she feals much beter about pooping. But she will be 4 in June.. heres a good link from dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

If it cheers you up any, DS went for 11 days w/o a BM. I think the real trick was pruine juice mixed with expressed breastmilk or formula. I also used a combination of warm baths, some manual stimulation, the I-Love-U tummy rubs, and leg pumps.

In the begininning, the doctor was against the (pediatric, glycerin, avail. at pharm. w/o perscription) suppositories (which I was against), but after 9 days, he was for them. Keep up with the prunes. I think it will work. But like everyone is saying, you should call a doctor to be safe.

Isn't funny how important LO's poop is? If you told me before I had a kid, I'd never believe you.

I'm having the same prob with my dd, she's 7 months old and been on a little bit of solids for a month now, and that's when it started. I tried stopping the solids and only bf'ing but she still will go two to three days without. The glycerin suppositories worked but such torture!!
    She hasn't been uncofortable so I think it's okay. Gonna try to add solids again this week. But doc said no rice cereal or banana!
    Good luck.