Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, still confused...

Default Sorry, still confused...

Okay, I have asked questions similar to this one before in this forum, but the time has come that I need to put my advice into action. I never really found an answer that matches my circumstances. Please help if you can!

When solids are started, what is the absolute minimum amount of times a baby should nurse per day? I am continung to shoot for 8 at least, however, when DD gets some rice cereal (which she loves!), she is no longer hungry. That means the solids seem to be replacing nursing sessions. BUT my milk is still her main foodsource, so what if my supply goes down? What if she only wants to nurse 6 or 7 times per day? Is this okay with good diaper output?

Sorry to be repetative but I am confused. TIA!

Default Re: Sorry, still confused...

I would think that 7 times is enough for good output, but what about cutting her serving size in half? You should probably be BFing before or after she has solids too. The less you start to BF the less you will produce. Your body will eventually slow down according to how many Bf you are decreasing. And good for you....your BM should be her main source of nutrition.

I am continuing to shoot for 8 at least, however, when DD gets some rice cereal (which she loves!), she is no longer hungry.
    The way I always understood it was solids were supposed to be a supplement to nursing. You should always offer the breast first, and then offer some cereal until she refuses it. As she grows, her appetite will increase and you will notice that she is eating more solids at a sitting. With Wyatt, I always offer the breast first and then solids, I don't ever use solids as a whole meal themselves. Hope this helps and answers your question!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh View Post
    I would think that 7 times is enough for good output, but what about cutting her serving size in half? You should probably be BFing before or after she has solids too. The less you start to BF the less you will produce. Your body will eventually slow down according to how many Bf you are decreasing. And good for you....your BM should be her main source of nutrition.
    Well, she only ate a little bit (an ounce, maybe?) But she is just starting so she probably isn't used to the heaviness of it compared to only liquid food. I offered the breast immediately after but she wasn't hungry anymore. Maybe I should always try nursing first. I wasn't going to start solids but she is getting to the point where she is hungry almost every hour and it just seems like she needs more. Plus, the first time I gave it to her, she ate it ALL! NO spitting it back out at all- I was astonished! I didn't want my milk supply to go down, that's why I was confused as to how this works... Thanks for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmom View Post
    The way I always understood it was solids were supposed to be a supplement to nursing. You should always offer the breast first, and then offer some cereal until she refuses it. As she grows, her appetite will increase and you will notice that she is eating more solids at a sitting. With Wyatt, I always offer the breast first and then solids, I don't ever use solids as a whole meal themselves. Hope this helps and answers your question!
    Yes it really helps, thank you. A nice, clean-cut suggestion! I thought that she would nurse as many times as usual and then eat solids on top of that as her appetite grew, but I didn't know if she would eat solids right after filling up on nursing... Eh! We'll figure something out in time. But thank you very much, the solids as a supplement to BFing is a very good guideline to follow.

its hard sasha, but no matter when i nurse DS, he has started to replace BM with solids. i think that as that get older, that is the natural progression of things until they wean. now that DS is older, he only nurses 4x a day if that. even from birth on, he only nursed 5-6x a day. just make sure to offer breast first, and not too many solids. also, what are you using to mix the cereal with? if you use EBM, the you can ensure she's getting BM there too.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Leslie makes a good point but you should definitley still be nursing first all the time. Everything I have read says this. Sophie's new picture is so cute!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yes, nurse first before offering any solids. In the first months, I just kept to my same nursing schedule (every 2-3 hours during the day) and added a small serving of solids after the morning nursing. Later I added another serving of solids after whatever nursing session was close to dinner time. Now, at almost 10 months she has a small lunch serving too. And still nurses about 8 times a day.

its hard sasha, but no matter when i nurse DS, he has started to replace BM with solids. i think that as that get older, that is the natural progression of things until they wean. now that DS is older, he only nurses 4x a day if that. even from birth on, he only nursed 5-6x a day. just make sure to offer breast first, and not too many solids. also, what are you using to mix the cereal with? if you use EBM, the you can ensure she's getting BM there too.
    Although this may be the case for some babies(particularly boys I have heard), it is not the case for my DD. I am starting to offer more solids;one at each meal, and she does eat about a tablespoon or more per meal. However, she does not want to drop ANY bf sessions. She could have eaten 5 minutes before and she wants to bf. I think it depends on your lo and the way you bf. We don't do schedules. I bf on demand and if she wants it, I give it to her. I am just saying this because all bbs are different and you will have to go with the flow a little. And I think the times per day also will depend on the times per day she nurses now. Like my DD still nurses at least every two hours but she probably doesn't get as much as Shiloh per feeding. KWIM? My theory has always been, if they are hungry feed them. The solids especially in the beginning at 6 months are just for play and learning. I hope that made any sense. LOL Two sick kids and who knows what I am saying.

It does make sense Sue...Shiloh isn't a snacker like a lot of kids are. When he does nurse...he gets down to business and eats for nutrition, not necessarily for comfort. I think that part of this is due to me scheduling him the first 4 months (I know, I didn't know any better ) and I really think that the majority of it is his personality. He's not a cuddler, sit still type of baby...he's CONSTANTLY on the go and can't be "bothered" to BF.

I feed on demand now....he just doesn't demand to eat but 4...MAYBE 5 times a day and not usually at all during the night. What can you do? Hopefully he'll want to nurse past a year...I'm certainly willing to, but who knows what mr. has-a-mind-of-his-own will want to do.

I would really just encourage you to ease into solids, don't force it, and always offer to nurse first. That said, it is possible that your child MAY not want to nurse as much...maybe. For my DS, I look for other ways to get BM into him. I always pump and offer him some in a sipee, make some oatmeal for him with BM, offer frozen BM pieces, anyway to get it into him. Next kiddo we'll do things a little differently and maybe nursing won't be so difficult. I digress.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I'm just going to echo the pps, but wanted to reiterate:
    (1) breastmilk should be given before solids through the first year
    (2) mixing EBM with the cereal is a great idea if you have enough
    (3) don't worry about keeping up a solids "schedule" with a 4-month old.
    Solids aren't even really recommended until 6 months old (although I know some docs still quote the old 4-6 month, it's not current). That said, I know some kids just seem ready a little earlier.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on