Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nuts and nut butters?

Default nuts and nut butters?

Okay, so what is the rule about nuts and nut butters? I know nuts are a choking hazard as well as a high allergy risk. I've heard no peanut butter until 2yrs, is that right? But what about almond butter? I asked my ped about that at my son's 12-month visit and she looked alarmed, like I had suggested feeding him mud. I eat a lot of almond butter, and also walnuts, since I'm semi-vegetarian and they are great sources of protein and good fat. I stopped eating peanuts or peanut butter when I was pregnant. Maybe I should have stopped eating other nuts as well, I don't know. In any case, have any of you introduced nuts or nut butters yet to your LO, and if so, when and what kind?

Also, my partner made a delicious paella tonight, and I think my DS would LOVE it, but it does have some ground up almonds in it. Does that mean I can't give it to him tomorrow? My son is 13 months, and hasn't shown signs of any allergies to date.

Annie
    Last edited by annie; January 13th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Default Re: nuts and nut butters?

I'd be interested in the answer here as well. I've been told by some people no nuts before 4 years old but my doctor mentionned that I might want to try creamy penut butter since we don't have any history of allegies and DS has been fine but she also said I didn't have to since it is an allegen and there was no real hurry.

I have heard no peanuts or tree nuts before age 2 with no allergies. We have allergies here, so no nuts ever

That said, I know it is a hassel right now, but even without a history of allergies a baby can develope nuts allergies. Avoiding until age 2 decreases the likelihood of allergies. Weigh the pros of waiting (yummy, easy to prepare, good protein, good fats, no allergies) VS the cons of not waiting (could develop a life long allergy = very limiting). You must make the decision for your lo.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

I thought peanut butter was ok after 12 months! Was I wrong?????? Please let me know as my LO is turning one very soon (too soon if you ask me!)

My Naturopathic Dr told me when my son was about one year old. (He's now 8yrs old). To avoid if possible all nuts, especially peanuts because they harbor a carcinogenic mold that contains aflatoxin. Nut butters are safer but as a previous Montessori Preschool teacher/owner, a lot of children have alergies to other nuts other than peanuts.

I avoid using peanut butter, but occasionally like when we go out for breakfast, or if my mom's made peanut butter cookies we'll eat peanut butter. We do eat other nut butters though. We love cashew butter and almond butter. When my baby born July 2006 gets to be over 2 years of age I plan on letting her try nut butter ocassionally, and almost entirely avoid peanut butter.

Hope this info helps!

Sheryl

mom to Jacob 8.5 years old
    & Sarrah 5.5 months old

Okay, thanks for the feedback, looks like I should hold off on all nut butters for another year. Does anyone know if there's a nursing issue with non-peanut nuts and butters? I sure hope not, as I've been eating almond butter and walnuts regularly since DS was born.

Annie

I was also told to avoid any food that I was concerned the baby could have an alergy to as it does go through the milk (just like how alcohol goes into the BM).

If you are concerned about alergies I would avoid them.

Sheryl