Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Consistent "gassy" period??

Default Consistent "gassy" period??

I am so frustrated and really hope someone's got some ideas for me!!

My son is ten weeks old, and he's always had a lot of gas, no matter what time of day, but over the last few weeks, he consistently wakes at 4:30 or 5:30 or so, squirming and grunting uncomfortably, sometimes with some yelling type crying although that doesn't last if I change his position. (Lying on his back to change him seems to make it worse temporarily, but sometimes better because I can coax out some gas by moving his legs and stimulating his rectal area with a diaper wipe.) He is not in horrible pain, in fact, he'll alternate between "talking" to me and fussing, and walking with him and cuddling seems to help. We end up taking him in bed to continue "gymnastics" like bicycling his legs and putting him on his tummy to work through bubbles.

I keep worrying that different foods are affecting him, and have cut back on dairy, chocolate, onions, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, and anything else that causes me to hesitate. But if it were something like dairy, why would it be only at this time of early morning? He doesn't take long naps, but when he fusses then it just isn't the same.

It seems to be four hours or so after late night feeding. Maybe I should try Mylicon drops consistently with that feeding? I have used them but really don't know that they work for him.

Also wondering if I am not diligent enough about burping him at the middle of the night feeding?

Note: we went downstairs this morning, and I plunked him in the swing. Not a peep, no more issues, but no apparent relief (no loud sounds of gas that seemed to help.) and as I am writing this he has fallen back asleep.

Is he being dramatic? could it be something I'm doing or eating? Is this, as the pediatrician tells me whenever I say ANYTHING, "normal??"

Sorry if this isn't very clear -- ask any necessary questions - I am bleary eyed and fuzzy and frustrated...and needed to vent and ask for some help!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Monica

Default Re: Consistent "gassy" period??

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I just want to let you know that my 9-week-old dd is EXACTLY the same way!

She is clockwork-punctual too...
    Right after her 5am feed, she will somehow NOT fall back to deep sleep (which she does from 9pm - 5am)... but instead, start a full 2 hours of grunting, moaning, fidgeting, shifting around (with a few minutes of rest between each "performance") until her next feed at 7am. And the thing is, she's not even awake while doing all that! She literally manages all that repertoire in her sleep. It started around 4 weeks (when she started to sleep longer stretches at night), and hasn't let up since.

I was really worried initially, but it's been that way all this while, and she doesn't seem worse for the wear. She will grunt/ moan until she becomes hungry, at which point she will open her eyes, and start her "Feeding Cry".

My husband and I would get woken up every morning :P and hover over the cot, looking at her anxiously... but then we would realise she's not even awake...

She was colicky (in teh day) earlier on, but has since eased up, and we've not been giving her any colic/ wind drops etc.

so by now we've kinda taken it in our stride, and I've somehow mastered the ability to sleep through all the grunts/ moans until it actually becomes a "cry" and THEN I wake up to feed her.

If we can't get an answer from other mothers, then at least take heart that you're not the only one

Ming

Well, I can tell you that I had the same problem with my little girl too. She's now 8 months old and over that period. But it did take a while for her to adjust. She was really gassy all the time and releasing it (which seemed like all the time). I did the same things, positions, bicycling her little legs and rubbing her tummy, etc.

I too cut back on anything that would cause her an upset tummy too. The chocolate, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. But it didn't seem to help her much. I highly recommend giving her some Mylicon. Just give it to him right after you feed him and you'll see that it almost helps instantly! It's safe to give to him every two hours and I truly recommend it! This is from my own experience, and I'm not any kind of representative... I'm just a mom!

We ended up having to practically use it until she was about 5 or 6 months old. But keep in mind that all babies are different, and your little guy might not take that long. It was a life saver for us! Keep strong, you can get through it.

I'm right there with you, too! My son is 4 wks old, and he grunts and moans nearly all night while sleeping. He seems very gassy as soon as my husband gets home from work, and continues his fussy period 'til about 8 or 9pm. Then he spends the rest of the night sleeping, but being very noisy about it. I was getting up to nurse him every hour, but he would only go at it for about 5 minutes, gradually decreasing to the point that he would latch on, suck once or twice, then fall asleep. So, I'm thinking I was misreading him. I only got up last night if he made a "hunger cry", which was at midnight, 2 and just at 5. But at 5 he didn't feed very well.

He is gaining very well, wets and poops with great aplomb. No worried there. I wonder if he is struggling with the transition to fewer poops, maybe feeling like he needs to but not having to?

We use Little Tummys like it's going out of style. Don't know if it helps very much, but it at least calms my son for a few minutes. The constant fussing at night is VERY draining on both of us. I am so exhausted when I get out of bed in the morning (note, I said nothing about sleep . . . I feel like I deprive my son of love or something if I don't get out of bed every ten minutes and at least pat him on the back or try to sing to him to soothe the grunts).

It's nice to feel like we have company. I have very little support aside from my husband, and he works all day and needs to sleep, so I feel very much alone.

Nen, I was right there with you! I felt like I was a walking zombie or something from all the lack of sleep. I'll just tell ya'll that it will pass.

All that we go through for our children are just small sacrifices for something sooooo wonderful. Just keep that in mind!

Keep up the good work mommy's!

Me too! My little girl is 4 weeks and has been incredibly gassy for the past week with the grunting, moaning and the like. She is colicky and have taken dairy out and started giving her gripe water every 4 hours, which one of the two is helping. It is soooo frustrating to hear them make these awful noises and you feel sooooo helpless. I am hoping that it will pass soon, that maybe its her digestive system maturing and when it matures, we'll all get a good nights sleep!