Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk alternatives when weaning

Default Milk alternatives when weaning

Hi,
    I've been weaning my 18 mth old dtr off day feeds since Weds, so far so good, but not without it's trials. My daughter will drink rice dream vanilla but I'm concerned it doesn't have the same status as whole milk. I've heard soy milk contains harmful hormones that may lead to early puberty. I don't want to undo the goodness of breastmilk, by opting for something harmful. Do you think it would be ok to flavour whole milk with a hint of vanilla essence perhaps. She's still into night feeding which is utterly exhausting me, but I want to get the day weaning under control before attempting night times. I've been told by mostly non-breastfeeding women that I should just say 'no' if only it was that easy, does anyone else find the whole process very harrowing, or is just me?

Default Re: Milk alternatives when weaning

May I ask why you are weaning your daughter? Most children benefit from bfing to age 2 and beyond.

Congrats on a succesful breastfeeding experience thus far. You've given your daughter a tremendous nutritional and loving start. Hopefully, you'll be able to continue nursing in whatever way works for you and your toddler. Compromises can be made. My copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (1997) encourages mothers to allow nursing at least once or twice a day. Whatever you decide, remember to take it slowly, "gradually and with love". If your 18 month old is taking a cup and eating well, offer plenty of distractions, with different types of food and outings and games. It sounds like you're really trying to figure out what is the best for you and your baby.Good luck!

Hi MaryJaneLouise,
    I'm weaning my daughter as I haven't had a nights sleep since she was born, she still wakes up 4-5 times a night and I get up at 6am to go to work Mon-Weds. I'm utterly exhausted and feel it's time to stop now.

Patty,
    Thanks for your comments. Daisy loves the breast god bless her! Non breastfeeders keep telling me, "just say no" I think that is so cruel. I will continue to bf Daisy at night, but I'm so tired! She still wants breast 4-5 times a night. She drank 3 small cups of whole milk yesterday, flavoured with vanilla essence, ate her dinner and still wants boob at night. I'm beginning to think it's mere comfort she's after!

Maybe you can cut the night nursings out and keep the daytime ones? I wish that is what I had done, and then let my son wean naturally. I did the same thing as you did, and it was hell when it came to the night time weaning. I had felt pressure because my husband had just returned from Iraq, and he had thought I nursed long enough. It was starting to hurt as well, but I am not sure if that is psychological or what, because of the pressure. Anyway, it was a horrible experience. He was 2 and was very attatched to my breasts. He is now 3 1/2 and is STILL very attatched to them. If you really feel it is time for you to stop, then by all means stop. But night weaning might be easier in the long run to do if she still has some mama milk during the day. I ended up feeling like I took away the only thing that comforted my son!

Sarah

My son is now 13 mos and I too am exhausted! A few weeks ago I started cutting back on his night time feedings. For the first 2-3 weeks he still woke up like he did before to nurse, but instead of letting him nurse I offered a sippy cup of water and got out of bed and rocked him. The first few nights he drank a little water, then none at all. He is now about 5 weeks later doing better. He goes to bed 7-8 sometimes wakes up when I go to bed at 10 if he wakes up I let him nurse, but if not he doesn't nurse again until at least 1 am. Then he usually wakes up at 5 and I let him nurse so we can go back to sleep or 1-2 more hours! It was just trial and error, not too strict not too giving. Good luck! I do let him nurse whenever during the day and try to give him a night snack.

It's been 8 days now but Daisy still pulls for the breast when she's tired during the day. I've done extensive research on alternatives soya is not suitable as a main drink until they are two. I have decided to go with Cows Milk but will have to flavour it with pj smoothies, otherwise she won't touch it. She's still feeding at night and still gives me loads of hugs throughout the day!