Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't Swallow

Default Won't Swallow

My 5 month has been drooling really bad for the last 1 1/2 months. To the point that I change her bib every 2 hours or less. She has even developed a rash because of the constant moisture.
    I've tried to start her on rice cereal by the spoon, but with all the drool she just spits it out. I have given it by the bottle on a few occasions, but even now that doesn't work. We have also tried giving her peas just yesterday and she spit them out as well. Should I wait until she stops drooling so much before trying again? Is it normal for her to drool so much?

Default Re: Won't Swallow

Babies at 5 months of age can still have a strong thrust reflex, which would explain why all the solids are coming back out. What this really means is that your baby really isn't ready for solids yet. I would suggest waiting at least another month and trying again.

Also, babies do drool a lot. One of my sons had chapped skin too, because of all the drool. Get some Aquaphor (or even plain ol' Vaseline) and put it on the affected area a few times a day. It'll seal out the moisture, and allow the skin to heal.

Your baby sounds very normal for her age!

Lisa

I Agree with pp...
    Somebabies don't want much to do with solids untill well into thier 1st year.IF baby is still spitting it out its pretty much a waste of time and $$$

Also, re: the rash do to the drool...my oldest son had this for quite awhile, and one thing that worked for us was applying cornstarch directly to the area that had the rash do to the drool. My mom did the same thing to me, and it really helps. Also, once baby starts to sit up unassisted, the rash will probably go away if its on baby's neck, as with sitting up, comes better posture, and the drool doesn't get stuck on baby's neck so bad.

If you have any family history of corn allergies though, I'm not sure if cornstarch would be a good idea in that case...but we didn't, and it worked well for us.

Thanks for all the great info!! I think I will wait until I notice she isn't drooling so much b4 attemptung solids again

Another idea to help with LO skin with the drooling is the lonolin (Lansinoh brand) cream. You can use it on nipples, etc.