Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Used last of frozen milk-what next?

Default Used last of frozen milk-what next?

Hi! I have a problem. In a different thread, I wrote about the fact that my dd was not gaining weight and needed to supplement. Well we had a lot of frozen milk from the 1st 2 weeks so the routine was I would offer her my breast 1st ,then a bottle of ebm than I would pump for 10 min on a hospital grade pump. My dd is 3 weeks old and hit a growth spurt and I used up the frozen milk to supplement. She is latching on fine (had a LLL confirm) now that she is stronger but I have no idea how much milk she is getting and she doesn't seem full without the bottle. She is still not at her birth weight so I can't drop the bottle yet but I am about 1.5 oz shy of enough expressed milk to satisfy. When should I pump? Sorry so confused and exhauseted.

Thanks

Default Re: Used last of frozen milk-what next?

If you still feel the need to supplement you could try pumping in the early morning hours when your supply is highest. Many moms find this works for them. You mentioned she doesn't seem full without the bottle. Can you explain some of her behaviors you notice after she is done nursing?

Sorry, one more question! Is she still using a pacifier occasionally? Please don't feel like a failure for this, we moms all do the best we can! But, I just wanted to ask this, because if so, maybe you could try to off for her to nurse more, since you are noticing an increased need for milk right now.

Hang in there! You have been doing great. (I read through your other thread.)

No, we gave up the pacifier right after we started supplementing. When she nurses she tends to fall asleep and do a lot of non active sucking. I have been "nursing" her for about an hour and she is still rooting if I put her down.

Now I need to give her a bottle. Any advice or help will be grateful!!! Thanks.

May I ask, how do you know when she is finished nursing? Does she fall asleep at the end of a feeding or come off on her own? I know you mentioned she is still sleepy and seems to do a lot of "non-nutritive" sucking. But then you also mentioned she seems to start rooting when you put her down.

Forgive me if this was mentioned in your other thread (I am having trouble remembering everything!) but have you considered keeping her close after a feeding, possibly wearing her in a sling? Many moms are surprised to find that their new babies are fidgety and fussy when put down after a feeding, and they often just want to stay close. Is this something you thing might work? Does she seem happy if you, dh or another helper hold her after nursing?

Again, pardon me if this is repeated, but have you been using breast compressions? I can't remember if that was mentioned?

Are you still keeping on top of her wet/dirty diapers and weight gain? The true sign of a baby not getting enough is output. Have you gone without supplementing long enough to know if dd is doing ok without it? In other words, without supplements, is she still having enough elimination?

Sorry for more questions!