Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soft Spot?

Default Soft Spot?

My 5 week old DS's soft spot is sunken in. I read that this is a sign of dehydration. His eyes and mouth are moist, and he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers per day. I asked our cranial osteopath about it, and he said as long as his soft spot is not sunken in when he is lying down, it is not a problem. And its true, my son's soft spot is only concave when he is upright. Is this common?
    PLEASE ease my paranoid mind so I can stop dwelling on this.
    Lyn

Default Re: Soft Spot?

I noticed the same thing on my son, especially when he was in his car seat. The way he was gaining there was NO WAY he was dehydrated, though! I read in Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Answer Book that a sunken soft spot isn't a very reliable dehydration indication.

I got really worried about this, too, but I was totally over-reacting. DD's front fontanel was, I thought, sunken when in fact it was just dipping down like a tarp pulled tightly across an open space would. Is that what Daniel's is doing? Or is it actually sunken?

With everything we worry about with our LOs, from the color and frequency of their poos to their soft spot to how much they're gaining, I finally understand why my mom worries about EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    I got really worried about this, too, but I was totally over-reacting. DD's front fontanel was, I thought, sunken when in fact it was just dipping down like a tarp pulled tightly across an open space would. Is that what Daniel's is doing? Or is it actually sunken?

With everything we worry about with our LOs, from the color and frequency of their poos to their soft spot to how much they're gaining, I finally understand why my mom worries about EVERYTHING
    Evin, I can't really tell the difference. But it is not sunken when he is laying down. We totally worry about everything. I had no idea a human's capacity to love and worry about someone until I had Daniel. He's worth it, but I feel like I'm a changed person.

Lyn