Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One-sided feedings

Question One-sided feedings

Hi all,
    I'm new here and hoping for some advice. My 3 week old daughter has been gaining over an ounce a day since we left the hospital and has an "ok" latch (we're still working on it, but it's getting better). She's definitely getting enough to eat because she's gaining weight and having more than enough dirty diapers.
    The thing I'm concerned about is that she will only nurse from one side at a time per feeding. And even then, she only eats for 10 MABYE 15 minutes at a time before she passes out again. I know everybody says "just wake her up and get her to eat the other side." But most of the time she truly will not wake up to eat again for 2 more hours. We've tried a wet washcloth, getting her naked, etc. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night.
    Is this "one-sided feeding" going to hurt or or my milk supply in any way? So far it seems like I still have plenty of milk when she's ready for the other side at the next feeding, but I'm worried that this might be a bad pattern to get her into.
    Any help would be great!

Default Re: One-sided feedings

My DD has always fed only from one side. Your body adjusts and I think it's more convenient especially for nursing in public. However, my DD nursed for 45 minutes or more in the beginning, so I am not sure about that. I am sure someone will chime in with the appropriate number of wets and dirties a newborn is supposed to have.

My lo is 4 months and has always only eaten from one side for 5 min max. He is gaining well, so it has not hurt my supply. I think it is 5-6 wet and 2-3 dirties each day.

I second the pp's responses. My LO is 3 months old and only rarely has she taken both breasts at one feeding. She only feeds on one side at a time, for usually around 15 mintues (although sometimes she could be on there for 40 minutes). She goes about 2 hours between feedings, except at night. She usually sleeps 11:00 or 11:30 PM - 5:00 or 6:00 AM.

Don't worry at all about your LO only feeding on one side. Most moms I know only nurse one side at a feeding.

You said your LO is gaining well & diaper output is great, so I don't think you need to worry about supply. I worroed about ti a lot when Ashelyn was a newborn, but we made it this far with no trouble. I never ever felt let down and I rarely ever leak...but my milk is plenty for her...

You're doing great - keep up the good work and try not to worry about your supply. Worrying will only do more harm than good.

Nope. In fact it probably has to do with why she is gaining so well! By blockfeeding on one side each feed she is getting PLENTY of hindmilk. MY son has been doing it sine birth and between birth and 4&1/2months he gained 14oz a week. And when I would pump a wgole bottle from one side, it would be over half hind milk!
    Don't worry! Your doing GREAT!

Way too lazy for formula

Just wanted to echo the other posters: It's perfectly fine that she's nursing from one breast per feeding. Just try to make sure that both breasts get "equal coverage" throughout the day! 10-15 minutes is fine too, as long as she's making lots of wet and dirty diapers. She's just an efficient little nurser! No need to try to force her to take the other side.

You're doing great mama!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

my lo has only ever nursed one side at a time except for growth spurts when he's more hungrier, and he only ever nurses for 10mins or less and is a very healthy weight.

Same here Chocs, I do the one sided thing except for the two growth spurts she's had so far.
    Izzy only nurses for about 7 mins at a time, until now it has been a mystery to me how she has put on weight.