Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bummed AGAIN!

Default bummed AGAIN!

So today my baby doc said my supply is still too low to fully support my kid and to expect my milk to dry up in about a month. He said I'm one of those rare women who just can't breast feed. Talk about feeling like a lesser woman! This sucks! But my baby girl is still getting some breastmilk and I will continue to give her some. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my supply rockets all of a sudden. Maybe the Reglan medicine I've been o nthe last 10 days will finally kick in. Otherwise, I'm destined for a formula baby -- which isn't the end of the world. Right?

Default Re: bummed AGAIN!

What a demoralizing thing to hear! You've been working so hard to breastfeed despite difficulties ... hearing this from a doctor must have felt like a body blow.

Be aware that many pediatricians don't know as much about breastfeeding as their patients assume they do. I know you have been working with your local LLL Leaders; have you talked with an IBCLC about your milk supply problems?

You are already breastfeeding. Yes, you are supplementing with formula, but you ARE producing breastmilk and your daughter IS nursing. I know of no condition that would cause your milk to "dry up" over the next month if you continue to nurse and/or pump to drain your breasts frequently.

Please don't let one doctor's insensitive and discouraging remarks cause you to lose faith in what you and your daughter together have already accomplished.

I looked back at some of your previous posts, and it looks like your baby has been getting a substantial amount of breastmilk with some formula supplementation, correct? It that's the case, there wouldn't be any reason that your milk would dry up, unless you decreased the amount of nursing/pumping you are doing. Even if you need to continue to supplement with formula, you can still continue to nurse for as long as you'd like. Many moms do some of both. I really applaud your efforts to maintain your nursing relationship through such difficulty. I agree that your doc's comments sound insensitive and probably unfounded.

I just want to say what a good mom you are to be so dedicated to nursing. Just ignore that docter, there is still a chance the medicine will kick in!

I haven't read all of your posts, but have you tried the SNS? It would be a great way to supplement and still allow your breasts to get the stimulation thye need to keep producing. Just a thought, and if you have already considered it, I apologize. I am sorry to hear that after all your efforts your pediatrician was, as Rebecca put it, so demoralizing. Your baby is still getting breastmilk, even if not exclusively...that is the most important thing, right?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thumbs up Re: bummed AGAIN!

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. We'll be breastfeeding for as long as we can.
    Best,
    Maggie

Smile Re: bummed AGAIN!

How does your doc. know that you are not producing enough? Please tell me more about this med. you are taking? Where do you get it? By the way... You are doing a fantastic job!! Hang in there!!

Well, my medicine is called Reglan. It is actually an anti-reflux medicine with an alleged side affect of increasing the milk supply hormone Prolactin (spelling?). My midwife put me on it 10 days ago, though I've yet to have a flood of milk. I'm just crossing my fingers that it is working. I went to a lactation consultant today who gave me a SNS little tube thingy that I've named "the contraption." The consultant said the problem is most likley a baby issue not a mama issue, meaning she's probably been sucking wrong or lazily this whole time. One look at my creased, scabbed nipples and she confirmed some issues beyond my inabiliyt to make milk. So we'll be trying the contraption for the next bit to see if it stimulates more milk. THings could be a lot worse, so we'll just ride this out.
    Cheers,
    Maggie

Formula is not the end of the world, you are so right. The most important thing is that your baby gets enough to eat. Sometimes that means supplementing with formula and I hope you don't beat yourself up about that. At least your baby is still getting some breastmilk and all the benefits that come with that. My ds had to have supplements when my milk took so long to come in and we were having difficulties getting him latched on correctly. He went from 8.12 to 7.7 and was ketonic by 5 days old. I tell you what, I would rather give my baby formula than watch them starve. So forget all the negative things you've heard about formula. Yes, bm is best but formula is an adequete substitute.

RedHeadMama you are right to warn against the guilt that comes along with formula. For those of us moms aware of the benefits of breastmilk, it is hard to resort to a less-perfect food. And some in the baby world (i.e. lactation consultants, other moms, etc...) can really lay on the pressure to breast feed. Alas, it doesn't work out so well for all of us. And, as you wrote, it's best to keep our kids growing and happy.
    Cheers,
    Maggie