Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teethings

Default Teethings

My 3 month old baby girl has started teething...I think. She drools all over the place and keeps her fists in her mouth. At times she gets cranky and cries out. I am wondering, what do you ladies do for teething?

She is so young, and her mouth is to small for any teething ring that I have seen. I have tried putting one of her washcloths in the freezer and letting her bite on it, but she does't like it. I don't want to give tylenol everytime I think she hurts. That cares me!

All she does is grab my finger and stick it in her mouth. Even though it's sweet when she tries to do it, and I constantly wash my hands, I really don't think my finger should be in her mouth.

Any advice?

Default Re: Teethings

I would allow this. My son favored my finger over a paci and we allowed if for as long as he would take it. He started refusing it at four&1/2 months. We kept purell in every room in the house,,,,but I was more inclined to just wash my hands with soap and water. Your baby will eventually put EVERYTHING in her mouth. It the 1st way that they explore stuff. The nice thing about the finger paci is it's always there, never falls on the ground and you never lose it!

Way too lazy for formula

OK, that does make since, maybe I was being a bit to "sterile". But you are right, she will end up putting everything in her mouth. At least I know my fingers are clean.

Thank you for answering, I know this problem may seem somewhat less important than true illness or breatfeeding issues. But when my tot cries and I don't know what will help, it hurts my feelings.

So the fingers it is!!!!!!

Also, I think that around 3 months babies start "gumming" even before the process of teething starts. So there is no pain yet, only a relish of slobbering all over your knuckles and hands, their own hands, shirt cuffs ect.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Also, I think that around 3 months babies start "gumming" even before the process of teething starts. So there is no pain yet, only a relish of slobbering all over your knuckles and hands, their own hands, shirt cuffs ect.
    Now see, I do think there is a lot of that going on as well, it's only a couple of times during the day that she really acts like she is hurting.

Glad to know that!

Thank you.

I agree with both posters, but more specifically, right now - with the previous one! - invest in some good absorbant bibs
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I think my dd is doing some of this too. But she's crying a lot more- esp. around feeding times, and tonight she's running a low fever (99.5). I gave some tylenol but it does not seem to be helping. She's just 13 weeks, it seems awful soon for teething (and I'm about to pull my hair out because she is really unconsolable).

mamacat