Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I started solids already and she is 4 mths old

Default I started solids already and she is 4 mths old

because the doctor said that she can start now. My baby took to it very well. She had been up every 2 hours to nurse prior to this but now she is sleeping a lot longer through the night. But reading on the forums I see that yall are saying and have read to not start before 6 months. SO now what? Do I stop or continue.

Default Re: I started solids already and she is 4 mths old

what solids did you introduce?

I only did the single grain rice and that is it.

Post Re: I started solids already and she is 4 mths old

Hi there,

How much did your baby weight at birth? I am asking this, because my son weight 9.4 oz at birth (now he is eight years old) and I, too started when he was aroung 4-5 months old. Babies digest the breastmilk in 2 hours. Every baby is different, and some babies are ready for solids at that age. They say, babies digestive system is not ready before 6 months, but if your baby takes it well, and the baby is happy and content, I do not thing there is anything wrong with it. Obviously, you have to introduce the solids to the baby slowly, at first just once a day for a couple of days, and you can increase it, but slowly.
    You know your baby, if it would bothered your baby, just do what you did before.
    Just to let you know, my daughter is 5 months old and nursing every 2-3 hours. I am going to introduce solids to her soon, too and see what happens.
    Good luck!

Andi

My baby weighed 5lbs 8oz and now is 12lbs 6oz at 4 months old

I started ds on solids when he was 5 1/2 mo because he was "interested" and I thought it would help him sleep better and be fun...after two weeks he was constipated and I had done research that said their digestive systems are too immature to digest food before 6 mo, and that it just fills their bellies without being absorbed...so I quit cold turkey and just nursed him like crazy any time he showed hunger. He was delighted. After a few days he was back on a normal schedule. He did not have solids again (regularly) until 9-10mo and only when he could pick it up, put it in his mouth, chew it up, and swallow it all by himself.

Anyhow, as far as what you should do, I would look up some articles on this site about it, they say babies aren't able to put foods into their mouths that young because they don't need to, and choking is a big hazard this young. But ultimately, you know your baby and need to do what seems best for your lo and your family.

here's one of the articles I found:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Also, this one is really great and informative...should answer alot of your questions!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    hth and good luck!

I too started my boys at 5 months. My Dr. preferred to wait if possible but she was not apposed to starting by 5 months if they are ready and she trusted that I know what I am doing since I have had two others. My boys were already sitting in their high chairs at the dinner table for about a month then and I kept watching them smacking their lips when we were eating..lol. I knew when they were ready and started them on rice cereal only and after 2 or 3 days of that I smashed a small piece of banana with it and they are LOVING it! The only thing I did notice is since I have increased to 2x a day their poops have been more solid and I am getting worried that they will get constipated, although that hasn't happened, I have cut back to once a day for solids.

What a difference between my boys. I tried cutting the banana up in tiny pieces to see what they would do and one was trying to chomp away at the pieces and what surprised me was that my bigger eater HATED the pieces. He even spits them out of the cereal if there are any chunks in it. Anyway, I have to say we are ALL enjoying the experience. I am really just at a testing stage and not trying to push or insist on any one particular thing.

Have fun and just explore!

I would say tha tit's up to you whether to quit or continue - you know your baby best, and if she's doing well, then keep giving her food. But make sure to nurse first so she fills up on breastmilk as opposed to cereal or other solids (since that's the nutrition she needs now).

It's possible that she might have started sleeping longer stretches on her own, without the cereal. My baby started sleeping for a 4-7 hour stretch at least once a night at that age, without solid foods. But... then about a month ago, he started waking up every 1-3 hours again. (Sigh.) I started my son on solids a few weeks ago (he's 6 months old now) because he seemed ready (and, I must admit, I wanted to see if it would help him sleep - even though I'd read that this theory is really just a myth). His sleep hasn't been any better, but he's loving the food - gets so excited when he sees his bowl and spoon.

Still, I worry about him eating too much food and not enough breastmilk, so I always nurse within 1/2 an hour before giving him any solids, and I often nurse him after too. And I only give him a tablespoon or so of food. I was doing just one meal of solids a day (in the morning), but recently added a second dinner time meal too.