Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What else can I do???

Default What else can I do???

My DD is almost 5 months and I have returned to work, I have never been able to pump enough milk to have a backup in the freezer. I can only pump maybe 6 oz a day and she usually takes two 4 oz bottles while I am away. I have tried fenugreek, increasing my H2o intake and i have not seen a difference. I have had to supplement on the "bad" days with formula, I really hate to have to do that. I have read on these boards that oatmeal can also help, if so what kind? I hope that it comes in a form of a bar or something because i really dont like the texture, but if it will help I will try anything. Please give me some advice. By the way, when I am with my DD she nurses fine, the problem is when I am away.

Default Re: What else can I do???

Tahini works for me (especially in its concentrated form, that is halva which you can find at stores selling Middle Eastern food). Also pumping with a hospital grade pump might help. Good luck!

I've never been able to pump much. When DD eats milk flows out of her mouth and she gulps and gulps and sometimes almost chokes so I know that she is getting enough. For some reason, pumping just doesn't have the same effect and I can never get much milk. That does nothing to help your situation I realize but maybe it is more of a pumping problem than a supply problem? Just a thought.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

does she eat alot at night?
    sometimes babies will reverse cycle when with mom, and nurse more at night.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

call a your local lll leader she can help!

what are your work hours like, can you add more pumping?
    or add more feeds when you and baby are together?