Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ear, nose, and throat dr.

Red face ear, nose, and throat dr.

so....we went to the dr. to see if kaya's tongue had anything to do with our breast feeding problem ....and the this dr. we were refered to by her ped said that she isnt tongue tied but her tongue developed incorrectly and she doesnt move it properly...she never lifts it its always pointed down when she sticks it out and when in her mouth smiling or what ever she does....is there any way i can correct this....????

Default Re: ear, nose, and throat dr.

Did the ENT give you any ideas for helping with this?

There are some tongue exercises in the BAB that I could share with you, but it would honestly be easier to explain in person. Do you have a local LLLL or IBCLC with whom you are working? (Forgive me if you already answered this question. I mod so much here I have a hard time remembering everyone's situation!)

i dont know if the lactation con im working w/is certified...she just told me to get her tongue looked at and she is the only one iv talked to ...the dr. didnt tell me anything eighther he just said sometimes babys have to go to the bottle and that exclusive bf isnt in the cards for us....he was nice but again, not a lac consultant...so...should i call a la leche league in my area...for support of what...????

I wouldn't hurt to call your local leader. She might know another mom whos baby had trouble too.
    Plus it helps to have a real life mom to talk to.

What did the doctor say about as the baby gets older? Will it affect her speech?

Is she tongue tied? My little girl had was tongue tied, so we had problems nursing until we had it corrected. Her frenulum was connected too much to her tongue, and she wasn't able to stick out her tongue any to suck properly. She had her frenulum clipped in surgery, and we were able to nurse right away. My ENT was much more supportive of breastfeeding though. I'm not sure if the tongue problem you are talking about is same as what I was talking about, but if I were you I'd get a second opinion from another ENT.

Quote Originally Posted by kaya's momma View Post
    i dont know if the lactation con im working w/is certified...she just told me to get her tongue looked at and she is the only one iv talked to ...the dr. didnt tell me anything eighther he just said sometimes babys have to go to the bottle and that exclusive bf isnt in the cards for us....he was nice but again, not a lac consultant...so...should i call a la leche league in my area...for support of what...????
    Yes, I would highly suggest contacting a local Leader. She work one-on-one with you to get the help and support you need. Let me know if you need help finding a Leader.

Unfortunately the ENT you saw is grossly misinformed on ways to help babies learn to BF properly. There certainly are ways. If you need more help than this PM me.

Good luck,