Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie Here, Directed to the boards! Milk supply issues!

Default Newbie Here, Directed to the boards! Milk supply issues!

Hey all! First, I love these boards! They are great. I've found some helpful information, but still seem VERY overwhelmed!! I did the hardest thing and felt like such a failure, I gave in on New Year's Day when my son screamed for two hours and kept trying to breastfeed and could not get satisfied, we gave him Enfamil Lipil and he guzzled 2 oz. down instantly, like he hadn't eaten in hours and then took another 2 oz immediately! So now he is getting 4-8 ozs of formula and I hate it! I want him to have breastmilk exclusively! Any suggestions would be greatly helpful!

He's never acted like he's gotten enough. He will be 2 months old on Sunday. He has always breastfed for at least an hour at a time, never shorter than that, unless if he fell asleep at bedtime. This increased to close to 2 hours, with about 30-60 min break and then he would want to nurse again. His pediatrician said that it was because he was going through a growth spurt and I had to start pumping at 3 weeks due to going back to work because I couldn't afford to just sit at home, and so he was building up my milk supply. But this has continued. It has never stopped. I talked to the International Board Certified Lactation consultant at the hospital and she said for me to take a week off, I was just exhausted and went back to work too soon because I had a c-section and good solid milk supply can be delayed until 6-8 weeks w/ c-sections. So even though I couldnt afford it, I did it and 2 weeks ago took a week off and just sat at home with him, laid around, had lots of bonding time, no pumping and took naps with him, and breastfed only. There was really no improvement in his behavior, he would still nurse the same way. So then I was told I was having a milk supply problem. I tried the Mothers Milk tea that was suggested to me, and that didn't help any. My sis in law had suggested Fenugreek tablets, she said they worked for her, but couldn't remember what the dosage was. So I followed the instructions on the back of the bottle. 1-2 tablets daily. I read here and it seems people are taking more, so today I'm starting to take 3 tablets, 3 times a day. I take the baby with me to work but am only able to feed him over lunch break from 12-1, rest of time I have to pump. When I pump out of one breast I get about 1/2 oz. and the other 1-2 ozs. So for example. After the baby went to sleep last night then it took me 6 hours to pump one 4 oz. bottle. I'm so frustrated. My pumping has always been like this, it has increased very little. it started out around 1/4 oz and about a 1/2 an ounce on the other. So very little increase.

I'm so frustrated and so overwhelmed! I stress all the time now!! Which I know doesn't help matters, but this week I just feel like giving up! I am afraid I'm doing to have to give him more formula while at work and I don't want that! It's so hard! I can't just put the baby on the breast all the time, because I have to work. I've already cut down to half time since the first of the year for now until I get this resolved, but I really can't afford this. I have to get this resolved as quickly as possible!!

Any suggestions anyone has would greatly be appreciated!! This is my miracle baby, I was diagnosed infertile and told I would never have a baby, now here he is, and I can't enjoy him, because I'm worried about feeding him. He is growing fine so his pediatrician isn't concerned, but I can't feed him for 1 1/2-2 hours during the day at work! And I can't keep up with his demand with my pumping. I want him to be as strong and healthy as possible! He was born with congenital kyphosis and club foot (which he just had surgery on last week) and they jsut found a hernia that he is going to have to have surgery on here in the near future as well. He needs to be as strong and healthy as possible and get the very best! And I really do love breastfeeding him if I could just get a handle on it!

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you can give me!

Susan

Default Re: Newbie Here, Directed to the boards! Milk supply issues!

do you have a local lll leader you can call? Here's a link to find a leader.
    http://www.lllusa.org/FL/index.html

She can help! The more you talk about it I think the beter you'll feal.
    Lots of moms have touble with milk supply when they go back to work.

Some babies want to nurse alot sometimes 12 times in 24 hours and that's normal for them. Some moms don't have much luck with the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    do you have a local lll leader you can call? Here's a link to find a leader.
    http://www.lllusa.org/FL/index.html

She can help! The more you talk about it I think the beter you'll feal.
    Lots of moms have touble with milk supply when they go back to work.

Some babies want to nurse alot sometimes 12 times in 24 hours and that's normal for them. Some moms don't have much luck with the pump.
    Thanks! I did call and leave a msg. for one of the ladies on the list. If I don't hear back then I will call another, just didn't want to bombard them! LOL

Thanks so much!

Just wondering if you were able to connect with a local Leader? Let us know if not, we will try to help you out here the best we can.

Hope things are going better for you...