Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gurgly stomach noises...

Default gurgly stomach noises...

Lately, I'm noticing that LO's stomache makes loud grugly/rumbling sounds during feedings...is this a sign that there's something wrong with her or my milk supply? She seems to poo regularly thou the smell is a little stronger than usual.

Default Re: gurgly stomach noises...

Hi,

My son's stomach does the same thing. He's been like that since birth though, very loud and gurgly. He also passes gas ALOT. Even in the hospital they were saying what a 'trumpet player' he was. lol

I have been wondering if there was anything wrong as well... I'm interested to see what other moms have to say about this. It would be nice to know. I hope we get an answer!

Sounds familiar. My 3 month olds tummy is making the same noises. A few times I thought it had to be mine because it was quite loud.

My 5-month old DD also had loud gurgly noises early on. I was worried too. After asking the ped about it, he said it was normal. I would just keep track of your LO's poopy diapers.

My guess is that since bm is digested so fast what you hear during a feeding is a normal empty stomach.

Some experts say it is because the newborn's digestive system is immature.

If the noises concern you, do mention it to your doctor.

I used to get freaked out by it too!!! I thought something was wrong, but then a bfing freind of mine told me that it's normal, and she thinks it is the sound of the milk hitting the stomach and the digestion process...I dunno, but I only notice it now if the room is really quiet.

My son will be 6 weeks old tomorrow, and I often notice his tummy gurgles too. They don't seem to bother him at all. If he seems uncomfortable, I try to burp him or pat his bottom to get some gas out.

I think I've kinda figured it out. My LO is now 6 weeks and I've heard that around this time is when food stays in their system longer and they sleep more, which means they get really hungery when they are awake....hence grumbly tummies. :P