Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Planning in advance here...

Default Planning in advance here...

So, now my 9 day old DS and I have got our BF down (thanks to help I found on here) and he's gaining weight nicely and happy and healthy. I am hoping to keep this up but I know returning to work in 4-6 weeks. My DH will be taking care of him until he starts work in July.

My job has long hours, to put it mildly. I'm an intern which means as many as 80 hours per week. I have lots of questions since I want this relationship to last even when I'm back at work.

1. What can I do now for DS to store BM?
    2. How should it work when I go back and my hours can be from 6:30am - 5pm or as late as 11pm or until noon the next day? Is putting the BM in a cooler reasonable as "refrigeration"?
    3. WHERE am I going to pump? I can pump in the car on the way to work or to clinic when I go off-site. But where can I find a quiet place in the hospital where I won't have to answer pages every 5 minutes? Is it reasonable to ask DH to bring DS in once during the day to nurse when he's so young and can be exposed to god knows what?

Any help you can give me now so I can help my DS down the line would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure I'm not the first to go through this, and I won't be the last! I know plenty of residents that are moms, I just don't know any that BF successfully...

Default Re: Planning in advance here...

Congrats on your new arrival, it is great that you are getting ready and prepared for your return to work so early
    1. You can start pumping once or twice a day - usually in the morning after the first meals of your LO. I use Lansinoh and Gerber bags to store the milk. Store about 4 oz in each bag.
    2. You can get one of those lunch coolers and several ice packs. Breast milk lasts up to 8 hours at room temprature and up to several days in a fridge so the cooler will be perfect for a 12 hours strech. Also, having at least two sets of flanges ang bottles will be helpful so you won't have to wash them while at work.
    3. I am not sure if you already invested in pump but a hospital grade pump can empty both breasts in 8 minutes. You can rent one from a LC, B-R-Us or a hospital. Ideally it will be great if you can pump at least twice during the 12 hours at work, even if it is for 5-6 minutes. Or pump once for a longer stretch (like 15-20 min.). I am not sure where you would be able to pump - a closet, or storage room, a conference room? Can you borrow someone's office? Sorry not a lot of help here
    I can suggest spending lots of skin-to-skin time with your LO and extra nursing/pumping when you are at home to keep up your milk supply. Also I know things at works can get hectic but try to stay well hydrated and don't forget to eat
    Hope any of these help and wish you all the best!

Smile Re: Planning in advance here...

Quote Originally Posted by ryans_mom View Post
    1. What can I do now for DS to store BM?
    2. How should it work when I go back and my hours can be from 6:30am - 5pm or as late as 11pm or until noon the next day? Is putting the BM in a cooler reasonable as "refrigeration"?
    3. WHERE am I going to pump? I can pump in the car on the way to work or to clinic when I go off-site. But where can I find a quiet place in the hospital where I won't have to answer pages every 5 minutes? Is it reasonable to ask DH to bring DS in once during the day to nurse when he's so young and can be exposed to god knows what?
    Like the PP said - pump and store milk. I use the Laniosh bags. If you lay them flat o freeze they will take up less freezer space!
    At work, pump as often as your LO feeds if possible. I kow it is hard (I just started back to work at the beining of te new year). Try not to stress out if you have problems pumping at first. Make sure you have a picture of your LO when you pump and if you need to you could make a recording of some of your bb's hunger cries and listen to them (Thanks Carpentergirl).
    If your DH brings your LO once to nurse you can send milk home with him.

If your pump is not a new one, you should check with your insurance company. A friend from these boards (Thanks Jeanine) told me that some insurance companies will cover part of the cost of a breast pump. I checked with mine (Blue Cross and Blue Shield) and they covered 100% of the cost for a Medela PIS Advanced. All I had to do is get a prescription for the pump from the pediatrician and take it to a "durable medical equipment pharmacy." I just got a new one and it works so much better than my older one!

Good luck and remember to be patient with yourself when you first return to work - it is much harder than you would expect!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Planning in advance here...

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help.
    you'll need to pump as often maybe more than what baby would have nursed when you were together.
    theres alot of good info here on the web site in the Resources pages.
    Info on returning to work and how to pump, even on the breastfeeding laws in your state. You can do it!