Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My what a sloppy eater I have!

Default My what a sloppy eater I have!

Ok so I say tis half joking and half serious. I have a 2 week old. She was nursing wonderful and now, she will suck for a min then spit and let it run out. Then repeat over and over. I will be going back to work in 4 1/2 weeks, and I can't deal with this at work.
    This is my 4th child- all I have nursed and I have never had this before.
    Any suggestions PLEASE

Default Re: My what a sloppy eater I have!

Is she choking and gagging as well or showing signs of overactive letdown? How is she growing? Is she having plenty of wet diapers yet? Do you think she is swallowing plenty yet? Do you think she isn't actually hungry, but still wants to nurse for comfort? What do you feel is going on? (I know, tons of questions, I just want to get down to the nitty gritty )

Some moms find it is helpful to tuck a cloth diaper or what my family called "burp rags" under the baby's chin to catch anything that baby doesn't want to eat, keeps things a little neater that way. You still do have 4 1/2 weeks before returning to work, so things can still change lots. Baby might just be working the kinks out of the nursing relationship

You just described my littlest one. She is what I call a "spitter" as she nurses and then spits some out and then nurses and spits some out. Just as PP said I used burp rags under her mouth stuffed between me and her or else I was soaked. Once she soaked my shirt so much that I later discovered it was "crispy" once it dried out. I used spit rags much more with her than with the other two.

She is almost 6 months old now and does it much less often, but I still keep spit rags all over my house for just such occasions!!!

I know it is not much fun when you keep getting soaked, but I wanted you to know you are not alone!!!

Good luck to you and your little nursling!!!

Like Erika, my first thought was that maybe you're dealing with a bit of milk overproduction/overactive letdown. That can cause fussiness at the breast, and pulling on and off (especially if you see milk spray out or run down her chin when she does pull off).

If it *is* a result of overactive letdown, maybe try nursing her against gravity - try a football hold, and then recline your body back so that she's above your breast. Alternately, you might try expressing your milk through your first letdown, then once the flow slows down, latch her on at that time.

If she's gaining well, you might also try nursing on only one breast per feeding, instead of both. If you're doing that already, try nursing on one breast for two feedings in a row, then switch to the other side for two feedings. Also, more frequent feedings help to prevent a lot of milk from building up in the breast, which will allow the milk to flow at a slower rate.

Usually, overactive letdown resolves itself after the first couple months, when mom's milk production adjusts somewhat.

Good luck!

Erika-
    She doesn't per say choke or gag, but my husband calls her squeaky! The makes a chirping sound like she is trying to keep up with both breathing and sucking. She is growing ok, birth was 7 lbs even and at her 2 week appt she was 8-2. I am not sure if she is hungry, because I have to wake her at 4 hr intervals. She has yet to wake on her own. She only sucks for a few minutes and then she is done. But it is a very messy few minutes.
    I have offered the other breast after a burp, but she rarely seems interested.
    I have the cloth there, but it too is saturated. Maybe I need to use a cloth diaper instead.

Nancy-
    It is nice to know that I am not alone, but this sure is frustrating. I have nursed all my others well into the 2nd year, but at this point I am already getting stressed. I am a teacher, and my school has a staff daycare, so I will be able to go nurse her as needed. However, I can't imagine getting this messy at work. I am taking 2 showers a day!

Kerry-
    It is ironic that the only position she seems not to do this is the football hold.
    I will try some of your suggestions!

Thank you all.
    who would have thought the 4th nursling would be more difficult than the others?!

My first did this too, coping with my oversupply. I used a cloth diaper under my breast for a while.

I too have a sloopy eater. The good news is that she's getting better as she grows. She's 4 months old now and I still keep a receiving blanket under her face while she nurses, but I can usually use the same blanket all day long, rather than having to get a new one mid-session like before.