Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking up....still need advice

Question Looking up....still need advice

Hey knowledgable boob feeders! (LOL)
    I need to call upon your expert advice again!

I am very happy to report that my son has continued to improve his nursing technique! I am no longer sore from feedings, and he seems to "drain the breast" very fast now! I pump after feedings but don't get barely a drop, so that is good news--right? He is emptying the breast well.

I am still supplementing though. I am afraid to let it go! I have bumped the supplements down by 1oz per feeding. I am trying to do things gradually as suggested by Kellymom.com. I love that site!

Anyway--here is my question: I have heard that if your child empties the breast well, if you are pumping to increase supply, it is best to do so in between feedings.

HOWEVER--I have also been advised to pump right after a feeding.

Which is best? I don't really want to spend my entire life hooked up to my double pumps, if you know what I mean! I am eating oatmeal everyday and drinking fenugreek tea as well--I am PRAYING to increase my supply. I would REALLY like to go back to exclusive BFing.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Looking up....still need advice

Or--Should I skip the pumping all together and just nurse like crazy? I had to add that.

the last might work..
    how much suppliment is baby getting now?

how often are you nursing now or is your LO going between feedings? I would consider nursing more often and staying away from formula.

Thanks for your respones ladies--
    To answer, my son is recieving about 2-3 ozs after every nursing session. I use either a lactation aid or a Medela Haberman, so he is not usually drinking from a normal bottle. (As advised by my LC).
    So, for every feed he is nursing, but for almost all of them, unless he falls asleep at the breast, he is getting formula afterwards.
    I just feel so nervous about cutting down his supplements with how much he goes through...it worries me and I just don't have confidance in my breasts although I should probably try and change that attitude if I want to succeed. I wish I never would have supplemented. However my breasts were in such bad shape, and they just weren't healing. I think it took this long for my DS to get the hang of nursing.
    Some days I get so depressed thinking there is no hope for my milk supply...

Just a quick update ladies...I've cut my son's supplements down by half and he seems to be doing really well! I'm very happy. Off to post a new question though! The struggle never ends....