Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply gone?

Default Is my supply gone?

My LO is 6 months old and recently I can't seem to satisfy his hunger with just BFing him. He screams after nursing for 10 minutes. I try to get him to try again and he will for a second and then starts screaming again.

Is my supply gone?? Is there anything I can do about it at this point?

Default Re: Is my supply gone?

Have you been feeding on demand this whole time?

Way too lazy for formula

Hi there,
    Have you recently introduced solids? If so, how much/often?

Do you think ds may have a cold or other illness? How about teeth?

Is his crying the only reason you are fearing you supply is gone, or do you have other concerns such as weight gain or diaper output?

If you can answer these questions we can better find you the support and info you need!

He has both a cold and is teething. We recently started solids, but only a few days now and it is kind of hit or miss with it.

He has been doing this for maybe a month. He'll eat for 5 to 10 minutes on each side and then pull back and scream. Then refuse all together, so I end up giving him a bottle to finish off the meal.

I have been feeding him at night once before bedtime around 7 PM and then I supplement him during the night because I just don't have the supply to fill him up until around 4 or 5 AM. I pump once a day at work, but I have noticed since I've been back, about 4 months now, that the milk I get from pumping has dramatically decreased.

I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding, but he is a big boy and really doesn't seem to be satisfied by me, except for a snack

My baby will be 6 mos on the 22nd and I've been having the same feeling wondering if my supply has gone down. My baby will also only nurse for 5 min on each side (sometimes less) and sometimes seems like he wants more and I do not want to supplement. In the beginning my goal was 3 mos when I was pregnant because I didn't want to set a higher goal in case I couldn't. Then things were going so well I said ok 6 mos, but I am definately not ready. I want to give him the very best for as long as he wants. I am worried too so I know how you are feeling. I was told by a lactation consultant to pump for 15mins after each nursing session for 48hrs and if that doesn't help she said nothing will. Well it's very hard to pump for 15 mins after every time, especially at 1, and 3 and 6 am in the morning! I stopped pumping a couple weeks ago but I think I am going to try again. I was only getting 1/2-2oz total anyway and sometimes nothing at all! He is wetting 5-7 diapers a day and 1 big poop (sometimes 2) a day but his wet diapers are not very heavy except in the am when I haven't changed him for a while.

I'm sorry this thread seems to have gotten buried. How have things been going for you the past week and a half? Any better? Changes?

It actually has gotten worse. He doesn't want to nurse at all now. He's been sick all this week and when I've tried to nurse him, he will bite me and then pull back and cry. Is this self weaning? Is there any hope of going back? My goal was 6 months...it's been 7, but I still feel sad about it.

Also, do I need to do anything or will the milk dry up on its own?

Any advice will be welcomed! I am a single mom and most of my friend's are past this stage with their children and either don't remember or never nursed.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Have you considered that this could be a nursing strike. Babies will rarely self-wean before one year of age. This might give you more information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    There are some other articles here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

There is definitely hope of going back. Are you still able to express milk? Have you been pumping/expressing?

Lots of skin-to-skin, co-bathing, co-sleeping (with no shirt on), lots of holding and cuddling (STS) will all be very helpful in getting ds back to nursing. There is more info in the articles above. The stories there will give you the ideas and the inspiration you need to return to an enjoyable BF relationship with ds, if you choose.

But yes, to answer your question, your milk will just slowly decrease if ds slowly stops nursing. If this is abrupt you could have some engorgement. Has this happened yet?

Hang in there!