Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foods to Eliminate

Default Foods to Eliminate

My 5 week old son is really struggling with gas. I feel so horrible for him as it affects his eating and sleeping. I know he is a happy baby if we could deal with this!

I don't know if its something in my milk, his latch, or could it be his pacifier?

My question about foods. People have said there is no need to eliminate things like tomatoes and citrus as only proteins are transferred to the milk. BM is made from the bloodstream, not whats in mom's stomach. However, on other sites I get different info. On the Mylicon website it says:

Avoid "gassy" foods such as beans, bran, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, caffeine, and onions while you are nursing. These can cause your infant to get gas.

I want to help him, but I really want to know what foods to avoid. I had raisin bran two days in a row, and wonder if that could be bugging him. I have cut out dairy, and only have rice milk now....

Thanks for any input.

Lyn

Default Re: Foods to Eliminate

My DD went thorugh a really gassy phase around then as well, i didnt change anything in my diet really just every thing in moderation and it seemed to go away after a few days... So im just curious to see what others say about it...
    wow so i really have no advice sorry momma,
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

My LO has bad gas when I drink milk. I stopped drinking milk and about 2 weeks later, I noticed that she was able to pass the gas and not just cry about it...try to eliminate dairy from your diet that may help your LO.

Milk hurt my lo's stomach when she was small. It gave her gas too. I cut down on my daily milk intake -not cut it out, and my lo was much happier.

Dr sears has a bunch of info on his web site about allergies. and how to figure out what is bothering baby.
    heres a link:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep97p75.html

try keeping a diary of foods and how baby is doing. and you might see a pattern...
    Most-Allergenic Foods

berries
    buckwheat
    chocolate
    cinnamon
    citrus fruits
    coconut
    corn
    dairy products
    egg whites
    mustard
    nuts