Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mad at Milk

Default Mad at Milk

My 5 week old is not staying on the breast for as long as he used to (which used to only be 10-15 minutes, but he would stay latched). He is now bobbing on and off the breast and it is a struggle to get 10 minutes of feeding in. I was able to control my OALD a couple weeks ago, and we have consistantly yellow stools about 4-5 times a day and lots of wet diapers. When I try to put him back on the breast to try to get more milk into him, he cries. I know we are struggling with gas issues and have started using mylicon drops. We also struggled with reflux, but this doesn't seem to be caused by that. He cries when its the breat, but gladly takes the pacifier and sucks on that. If he was still hungry, he would refuse the paci right?
    Thanks for any advice you can offer. He has a slightly sunken soft spot, but I was reading that it is naturally concave. We have a third visit to the cranial osteopath, so I'm sure he can advice me as to how sunken is dehydration. I'm just a paranoid mama, KWIM?
    Also, my left breast doesnt seem to "refill" like it was doing last week. I nurse on that side, but it stays pretty small and flat. My son has never really "emptied" my breasts. I had to block feed. My right breast will get engorged if I don't use it (I was hoping that using my left breast more would lead to more supply, but it just ended up causing the right to be engorged, and I had to feed on that side) Anyone have this happen? Should I pump to see what I'm getting?
    Thanks
    Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 8th, 2007 at 03:46 PM.

Default Re: Mad at Milk

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

are you giving bottles? sometimes they have a hard time going between the bottle and the breast.
    Sometimes also they just grow a little bit, and get beter at breastfeeding, so they don't need to nurse as long as before.
    IF baby is having the wets he needs he shouldn't be ok.. heres a little link

Every mother should know the signs that prove her baby is receiving enough milk:

The baby nurses frequently, averaging at least 8-12 feedings per 24-hour period.
    The mother should listen to be sure she can hear the baby swallow as he/she is breastfeeding.
    The baby will have, after the third day of life, 6-8 very wet cloth diapers or 5-6 wet disposable diapers as well as 2-5 bowel movements per day.
    The baby should gain at least 4-7 ounces per week after the fourth day of life.
    The baby will be alert and active, appear healthy, have good color, firm skin, and will be growing in length and head circumference.

Nope, my LO has never had a bottle. He does use a pacifier, and seems to prefer that to comfort nursing. I feel bad about it, but with his gas and reflux, I think it helps soothe his pain, the milk just makes it worse. He gained 2 lbs in his first 4 weeks of life. So I know he is growing. But these small meals are worrying me. And the slightly sunken fontinel....I wish these babies came with little lights that said "hungry" or "just tired and need to suck"
    Lyn

I think Ive read that reflux babies will self regulate like that and have smaller meals. ITs beter for their tummy to let them feed more often.
    heres a good link from dr sears.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106000.asp

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    my left breast doesnt seem to "refill" like it was doing last week. I nurse on that side, but it stays pretty small and flat.
    After the first few weeks, the breasts don't feel as full as it did at the beginning, and that's because the body seems to "know" how much milk baby needs, and the supply is regulated. Apparently, our breasts are never completely empty (there's usually 25% milk left).

Should I pump to see what I'm getting?
    Pumping usually doesn't show us how much baby is really getting because baby is so much more efficient at getting the milk than any pump.

Don't you sometimes wish our breasts were like transparent milk bottles so we could know exactly how much baby is drinking??
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

He cries when its the breat, but gladly takes the pacifier and sucks on that. If he was still hungry, he would refuse the paci right?
    Lyn
    It is easy to miss hunger cues when a baby has a passi. Yes, they will accept one when they are hungry.
    Keep track of whats coming out (become a diapy counter like the rest of us ) versus what you think may be going in.

Im trying really hard not to use the pacifier, but he literally screams if I try to have him comfort nurse. He has lots of wet and dirty diapers. The only concern I have is that his soft spot is sometimes slightly concave. I have read this is an indicator of dehydration, but is that always the case? His mouth his moist, he has tears, and lots of wet diapers....

5-6 wet diapies says, "I'm saturated" to me. Don't know about the soft spot, but yer puttin' in a good amount of fluids!

As mentioned, as long as the diaper output is good, I think your baby is getting enough. My son usually only nurses for 5-8 minutes TOTAL during each feeding, every 2 hours, with a couple longer stretches at night. One day he just figured it out and got really efficient. He swallows with almost every suck so I know he's getting lots.

It's weird and worrisome when your breasts don't feel so full anymore, but the milk is still there. Can you hear your baby swallowing? Also, I would keep switching sides each time, or you could mess up the supply on the engorged side. Although it gets engorged, if it doesn't get used as much it will slow down production.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

My son is the same way! Around a few weeks old, he got really efficient at nursing and hardly ever goes ten minutes. Same issue with my breasts and one feeling like it produces more but I switch every time and his diapers are where they should be and he gains weight like crazy! Don't feel bad about the paci, there's no room for guilt when you are comforting your child. I struggled with this, too. He's exactly the same at the breast as yours and he will not comfort nurse, I don't know what I would without the paci. He must just have a strong sucking urge, some babes have more than others. You can wean him off of the paci later, I plan on doing it around six months or when he sleeps through the night, hopefully four or five months. Hopefully!