Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP Poop Strike

Default HELP Poop Strike

My DD has not pooped in 7 days!! She normally goes every 2-3 days.
    I wasn't too concerned because she didn't seem uncomfortable. But now she's def. in pain & her poor little belly in tight as can be. I tried the thermometer... no luck.

I spoke to my Dr & she wants me to give her karo syrup & water and a suppository. I'm okay with the suppository, but i'm concerned about the high fructose corn syrup!

Any other natural remedies out there?? Is it safe to wait it out??
    I feel terrible for her…

Default Re: HELP Poop Strike

how old is she? poor thing - i hate to miss a day let alone going a whole week.

what sort of changes have you made that could be contributing to her constipation so that this doesnt happen again? new foods, change in routine, etc?

i dont think i would wait it out any longer...bowel problems can quickly turn dangerous and as you said can be very painful.

my dd had to make a trip to the emergency room around a year because of constipation. the nurse had to give her a little baby enima and i was glad i took her in to do it because she seemed so relieved afterward and the process was not very invasive and it was comfortable for her.

there are a lot of natural things you can do but some of them can take a while to work through and your poor dd is in pain now so i would go for the suppository right away.

as far as the karo syrup goes...that isnt a thrilling choice. my ped recommended mineral oil which i didnt like at all because of what it is composed of and how it effects your body. i say, try the suppository first.

Sorry... she's 4 1/2 months old. My diet has been the same & our routine has been pretty much the same. She's always been a gassey baby. I avoid all gassey foods, including dairy.

She's nursing every 2-3 hours, for 15-20 min. or so. She has aprox 6-8 wet diapers a day. She passes a lot of gass!

My hub is running out to get the suppositories & karo. We'll try the suppository first. Right now she's playful and giggling!

Is there anything i can eat or drink to help her??

It's not uncommon for babies older than 6 weeks of age to go several (and I mean SEVERAL) days in between bowel movements. A baby is not constipated unless the stool is hard and pellet-like once it does pass.

Does your baby get anything other than breastmilk? Vitamins, solid foods, formula, water??? Breastfed babies, as a rule, do not get constipated unless there's some sort of underlying reason.

My DD used to go 1- 2 weeks between BMs. It started suddenly. She was going every day, then skipped a day, then went 10 days without pooping. Her longest was 15 days. When she started solids she started going more often again. The doc said it was nothing to worry about. She never seemed to be in pain though. Sometimes, it would seem like her belly was bigger if it had been a while since she had gone. Trust your instincts if you think something's wrong, but if it keeps happening, it's probably just her new pattern!

She only gets breast milk. I told the Dr that I thought it was normal for BF babies to go sometime between BM's & she said anything over 3 days was a promblem! My princess seems fine for the most part... She's been getting fussy here & there & that is when I noticed her belly gets all tight.

This has been a new pattern. She uses to poop every day & them slowed to ever other then every 3 & now it's been a full week.

I just want to do what's best for her but hate the idea of giving her sugar water!

If this is normal, I'll wait it out!

she said anything over 3 days was a promblem!
    Perhaps if your baby were formula fed this would be a problem. Sometimes doctors tend to group all babies together, regardless of how they're fed and the bottom line is that a breastfed baby just is not the same as a formula fed baby.

This isn't to say that there aren't times for concern and we all hesitate to say that a breastfed baby never becomes constipated. There are times when they do but as I mentioned before it's almost always caused by something -- illness, supplements or disease.

Perhaps this will set your mind at ease:

Is My Breastfed Baby Constipated?

From Dr. Jack Newman's "The Ultimate Book of Breastfeeding Answers" (available in the LLL catalog):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0761...3D#reader-page (scroll down to the bottom of the page where Dr. Newman mentions a baby that has gone 31 days between bowel movements!)

As long as your baby is having wet diapers and otherwise behaving as normal, there's really no reason to interfere as helping baby along can actually contribute to more problems.