Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lanolin vs. Earth Angel mommy cream

Default Lanolin vs. Earth Angel mommy cream

Which would you recommend? I've heard good things about both.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Lanolin vs. Earth Angel mommy cream

Hi NY Wifey! Hopefully you won't have to use either! Many moms find that through proper latch and positioning, they don't have a need for nipple cream.

However, it may be wise to have some on hand, just in case. Lansinoh Brand Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers has been endorsed by LLLI for use in treating sore nipples. IT is the purest and safest brand of modified lanolin. Other modified lanolin products may contain high levels of pesticides along with free lanolin alcohols and detergent residues which have been identified as the cause of lanolin allergies.

The use of Lansinoh may also relieve pain as it protects the nerve endngs that signal pain.

Just a side note: the tubes last a LONG time. I know a mother who has a bunch left over and has finished nursing. She uses it on her kids chapped lips and says it works wonders!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Kristie View Post
    However, it may be wise to have some on hand, just in case.
    Even if you never use it, you don't want to have to worry about going out and getting some in those early days.
    Never used the other stuff so I can't compare, but Lansinoh worked well for me. A tip, though-let your nipple area air dry before applying it. When I had cracked nipples at first (this does not happen to everybody but I had latch problems/flat nipples), I used to feed my baby, rub a little breastmilk into my nipple, let it air dry, and then apply the Lansinoh. My nipples healed within a few days.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've used both. While my babies have had great latches, I just have sensitive skin and get very chapped. It only lasts about a week, but still

One thing I like about the EAMA cream is that it does not stain and is less thick. So I liked it for daytime use. The little pot lasts a long, long time.

Lansinoh is GREAT to put on those sensitive nipples before taking a shower because it's waterproof to some extent.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used the Lansinoh Lanolin from day one. It was great during those first few days when my nipples were the most sore. The LC in the hospital told me to use it after every nursing session, applying liberally. It did stain my sleeping bra though, so be sure to use a pad or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I used to feed my baby, rub a little breastmilk into my nipple, let it air dry, and then apply the Lansinoh. My nipples healed within a few days.
    I do the same thing Molly does. I also use the Lansinoh for a host of other maladies. It does wonders for diaper rash!!!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!