Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating enough?

Question Not eating enough?

My soon to be 12 week son only drinks at most 4 ounces every 2-3 hrs, usually more like 3.5. (I exclusively pump)...anyway some of the info I checked that I was given upon leaving the hospital said that from 0-2 mo they drink 2-5 ounces and from 2+ it's 4-6. He is now 12.5 pounds and according to his weight it said he should eat 30 ounces of BM per day. He is lucky if he takes 24. He was 6 11 at birth so heis gaining well, but I fear that he is not eating enough, anyone have the same issue. I think I may have written a similar post but I just need some reassurance.

Default Re: Not eating enough?

I'm curious what other people have to say here... but as long as your feeding him on demand and he is happy, I think everything is fine. Is his wet/poopy diaper count good?

He definitely poops enough 4-5 per day, wet diapers too, that's another thing when they say 5-6 wet diapers should they be really heavy or just a diaper that may be light but you can tell they peed?? All these new mom questions, some day I will get the hang of this.

I think your LO's intake is within the norm for breast-fed babies which according to my pedi is between 20 and 30 oz, average of 25 oz. IMO food intake for bfed/bm-fed babies is not exactly science , it is more like guidelines, and I've seen/been told several versions of calculations for daily bm intake.
    So that's why diper output and weight gain are the most definite signs your LO is getting enough
    Here is an article from kellymom about milk intake for infants(sorry, I couldn't find one from LLL):
    Milk Calculator
    With my LO I was worried (and still am ) all the time if she was getting enough -she has been mixed breastfed and bottlefed since I went back to work at 2 1/2 mo. She is 7 1/2 mo old and still taking 4oz of bm during the day ever 3-4 hours - same amount she was taking 3 months ago.
    HTH

thanks so much, I think he is right within range