Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here with a question

Smile New here with a question

Hi all! I am Ami. I just had my second son on December 15th. I have an 8 year old (we adopted my nephew) and a 20 month old. All boys! With my 20 month old we got off to a terrible start nursing. He was born a couple of weeks early and had oxygen problems so he was not able to nurse until about 36 hours after birth. Once home when my milk came in I got terribly engorged and couldn't get him to latch on. He ended up being supplemented (alot) with formula. I hated nursing him, I hate to admit, but it was just a terrible experience. Finally at 2 months I had such a small supply that we gave up all together.
    With this baby it has been such a different experience. I truly enjoy nursing this time. I was able to nurse Gus right after delivery and he was a natural! I have had absolutely no problems this time around. He has been exclusively nursed from the start.
    My question is which breast do I start on each time? The nursery nurse at the hospital told me to start on the same breast I left off on the prior feeding. But we pretty much nurse one breast at a feeding, then the other breast the next feeding. (I hope I'm making sense) Do ya'll think I should be making sure to give him each breast during one feeding, or is it ok to do it this way? And if I do nurse both sides, which breast do I start on on the next feeding?
    Ok, I do have another question, lol. I've heard alot of conflicting info on pacifiers. I never gave my 20mth old a paci. But Gus seems to want to comfort nurse, ALOT! I was wondering if it's ok to give him a paci from time to time so I could actually finish a load of laundry, or complete a meal? I did give it to him yesterday for a little while and he was ok with it. That was the first time he's had anything other than me in his mouth. It was sad in a way, but I was desperate. Should I not give it to him again?

Thank ya'll so much for any advice you can give me!!

Default Re: New here with a question

I can definitley comment on the breastfeeding thing. It comes down to whatever is better for you and baby. I do the same breast per feeding, as well. When my DS's eating away (and he does not come off until he's done, LOL) I will not attempt to break his latch to get him over onto the other breast. He'll start screaming, crying and it takes a little longer to get him calmed down enough to nurse all over again. He also gets frustrated that he has to "start all over" after he had a rhythm going on the other side. If you are comfortable with feeding off of one breast at a time...do it. Its not hurting anyone and your breast/milk will adjust accordingly.

Hi Ami, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you and baby are doing very well, but you are still unsure if you are correctly breastfeeding your baby by switching breasts each time.

From what I have learned, the underlying principle is to empty each breast before offering the other one. Here's an except of an article that helps to explain why this is important (from http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...s/3course.html)

Your between-nursings "seeped" milk is a rather lowfat milk. When your baby nurses, she first drinks this "soup course". But the action of her nursing begins to draw down a higher and higher fat milk. Most of what she gets from that breast is a medium-fat "main course," but near the end, when she isn't swallowing very often, she gets the highest fat milk of all - like the small, high-fat dessert after your own meal. If she nurses again soon after, the fat tends to be mixed all through the milk. As the time between nursings gets longer, the difference between low fat and high fat milk becomes greater and greater.

If you follow the old, rigid advice to wait a certain length of time and then nurse on both sides, taking her off Side One in order to give her Side Two, you'll be giving your baby two "soup courses" and may leave her too full for "dessert". She'll be full - but not necessarily happy. All that lower fat milk without enough high-fat milk can upset her intestines, making her gassy and colicky.

As for the paci, I personally didn't use it because my baby didn't like it. But I have heard that offering it too early on might cause nipple confusion.

Hope this has helped.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Thanks so much!!
    Clarify this for me though;
    If you follow the old, rigid advice to wait a certain length of time and then nurse on both sides, taking her off Side One in order to give her Side Two, you'll be giving your baby two "soup courses" and may leave her too full for "dessert".
    Do you take this to mean to keep him on the one breast this feeding, then the next feeding give the other breast? Not to give both breasts at a feeding?
    Sorry I'm so dense, but it's all confusing once I start to analyze it too much, lol!

I look at it this way... feed until your baby isn't hungry. If this means you only need to use one breast, then great... switch breasts next time (a safety pin in your bra or a reminder bracelet can help keep track). If he pulls off and still wants more, switch sides. Start with that side next time around. Again with the pin or bracelet. HTH!

Thank you so much!!! I do need to use a pin cause I find myself questioning which side was last sometimes, especially night feedings!

Hi! I'm very new here, too. It's a great place, isn't it? I feed my son one side each time. I want to make sure he gets the hind milk. I've tried switching sides before if he got fussy after one side but he was just finished and didn't know to stop! He's so cute. I had people tell me to switch sides, or do ten minutes on each side but I went with my instinct and he is gaining weight like crazy! Breaks my heart to move him out of his newborn clothes.

I also don't know what I would do without the paci. When my boy is really tired and hysterically crying the paci really calms him down so he can sleep. We don't need it a lot of the time but he has a very strong sucking urge and it calms him down soooo much. I felt bad at first but then I realized I was helping him rest, he's an awful sleeper. Now I'm grateful for it and I know his sleep is very important, however we get it. When he finds his hand to suck, and he sleeps through the night, we'll wean him off of the paci.

Hope this helped!

I am so glad I saw this post! I too have been concerned about nursing on only one side. My son wants to constantly nurse and I have been worried that my son wasn't getting enough, since he only feeds on one breast at a time, and then an hour afterwards wants to nurse again. My milk supply has adjusted to it just fine, and he has plenty of pees/poops per day. But, being somewhat new to this, I just wasn't sure...

I also noticed that since he's started this nursing on one side at a time, he's been less gassy and fussy. (He still wants to suck 24/7 though, so I'm a human pacifier. lol)

I feel better about this, I'm glad you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ami~ View Post
    Thanks so much!!
    Clarify this for me though;
    Do you take this to mean to keep him on the one breast this feeding, then the next feeding give the other breast? Not to give both breasts at a feeding?
    Sorry I'm so dense, but it's all confusing once I start to analyze it too much, lol!
    Yes. One breast at each feeding. But sometimes if he isn't done after emptying one breast, and he drinks from the other for a little while but not enough to empty it, then the next time start on the one he last fed from.

You want him to get to the hind milk which comes as the breast is being emptied.

Does this make sense?
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Yes, makes perfect sense. Thanks for all the help. Even when I think I've got this down pat I start to think about it too hard and I get all confused. Or I'll read a bit of conflicting info somewhere. You would think something so natural and meant to be would be easy and no fuss, HA!
    Thanks again girls!