Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not pooping . . . she is miserable.

Default Baby not pooping . . . she is miserable.

My daughter is almost 6 weeks old and is having triuble pooping. She will go 10+ hours without a bowel movement and the longer she goes, the more upset she gets. She keeps trying to go, but can't do it. She is grunting and getting red in the face.

She has been having 2-4 poops a day, but has gone long periods between them. I have tried pulling her feet uo to her chest, but it does not seem to help. I have also tried feeding more, but it does not seem to be working.

Help. I really want to help her feel better.

--Meredith

Default Re: Baby not pooping . . . she is miserable.

Our dd wouldn't go in the early days and we had to stimulate her with the lubricated tip of a rectal thermometer. Uggh. But she was jaunduced and dirtying a diaper is one of the best ways to get rid of jaundice. It worked for us but I don't know if it's different because your lo is straining. Poor thing.

Straining to poo is very common in young babies, as well as looking uncomfortable and red-faced. Since your baby is still having bowel movements, IMO there's no need to introduce anything to help things along. Also remember that as babies grow older, they typically have fewer bowel movements each day.

Keep doing what you're doing. Your LO sounds fine to me.

Lisa

If I put my 9 wo in his bouncy (vibrating) seat, it seems to help him have a bowel movement. I don't actually turn the seat on. He likes to kick his legs when he's in the seat and I suspect something about the position also helps move things along...

My dd also turns red and grunts when he's dirtying his diaper. He doesn't seem to be frustrated or in pain, tho, unless he is trying to pass bad gas.

Are your lo's bowel movements hard/solid? If not, I don't think she is constipated.

Hopefully you can find a way to help her thru this.

I think that if she's having some problems, you can get a warm wash cloth and gently "stimulate" her rectal area. I noticed that in the early days of DS's life, if I got a warm wash cloth to was his bottom, within 10 minutes of doing that, he was pooping. If you are still concerned about this, definitely give your doctor/pediatrician a call.