Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strong, acidy-smelling spit-ups

Default Strong, acidy-smelling spit-ups

My LO has just started doing really strong acidy-smelling spit-ups. They are chunky and cottage cheese like - he normally does watery ones that just smell like milk. What do you think is going on? He doesn't seem to be in pain when he spits up, he often gives me a goofy smile afterwards. Anyway - he used to spit-up a couple of times a week, and now it's a couple of times a day. We have taken to dressing him in a bib as his clothes get dirty real quick. I'm sick of having to change my outfits too as I stink of vomit all the time.

Also - his poops are really watery, green with strings of mucous in them (and have been ever since he gots his shots last week)....any ideas? I have not changed anything in my diet, nor my nursing style (he always nurses on one side for 10-20 minutes at a time).

Cheers!
    Rochelle
    Last edited by Rochelleann; January 11th, 2007 at 11:42 AM.

Default Re: Strong, acidy-smelling spit-ups

sometimes when you have a really good milk supply baby gets too much of a good thing--too much of the high protein foremilk and not enough of the fatty hind milk that comes toward the end of the feeding. The fat tends to slow intestinal movement and makes baby less gassy and better satisfied for longer. If your baBY IS NURSING VERY FREQUENTLY AS IN EVERY 1-2H, TRY OFFERING THE SAME BREAST FOR A THREE HOUR PERIOD OF TIME AND THEN SWITCH TO THE OTHER BREAST--MORE HIND MILK AND LESS VOLUME. SOMETIMES IT TAKES 2-3 DAYS FOR THINGS TO SETTLE DOWN.

thanks lila - i'll give it a try today and tomorrow....will keep you posted! I didn't think it would be an imbalance because I haven't done anything differenty to cause this.....???

just a thought...
    One time I drank a huge glass of OJ and when my lo spit up it smelled kind of like citrus. No joke.
    Is it possible you just overdid it on something you usually eat?

My DS usually has an upset tummy (excessive spit-up and green stools) for about 3 to 7 days following shots. I don't think it's a reaction to the shots *themselves* so much as the turmoil (going the doctor's office, the crying and yelling, the sore spots) of the whole experience; it happens no matter what I eat or do, and we just have to wait it out.

That being said, I would go ahead and call your pedi if this all started happening directly following the shots. If your LO is having a reaction to them (highly unlikely) your pedi needs to know before the next round of shots.

HTH!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.