Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping & going back to work

Default Pumping & going back to work

I have a 1 month old and will go back to work in 1 month. Right now I'm try to pump once or twice a day while breastfeeding DS every 1-2 hours on demand. I am only able to pump 1-2 oz total at each session. Currently, my DH and I are using the pumped milk to feed DS when he has fussiness/colic at night and I'm too sore to have him latched on.

I'm worried that I won't be able to have enough supply to leave with daycare. I plan to be at work 10 hrs so I assume I will need to leave around 15 oz of pumped milk each day while I'm at work.

Questions: 1) How did you build your mild supply prior to returning to work? 2) When did you start building your mild supply?

I am using Medela Advanced pump. I set it on the lowest setting because I find my nipples hurt after pumping session. I go for 10 minutes at most.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Pumping & going back to work

Welcome to the board!

I suggest pumping first thing in the morning. This is when you tend to have the most milk. The hard part for me was getting my initial stash of EBM. I went back to work when DD was 6 weeks. Once you go back to work and you LO is missing a feeding, you will be able to pump a lot more. I send my LO with 10-12 ounces for 8 hrs. So 15 ounces for ten hrs is a good amount (but on the high side).

Anyways, I just had to slowly build my supply at first 1-2 ounces at a time.

You did say that you are giving your LO a bottle when your tired. Maybe you could pump during that time as well? Are you being able to save any during the day or is your LO eventually taking it all?

HTH

I only started pumping everyday for the last two weeks. Initially, I couldn't figure out when to do it because DS's feeding schedule was so erratic and I was worried he wouldn't be enough milk if he decided to feeding sooner than intended.

Currently, when DS seems to have an endless appetite during his 3-4hrs of "colic", we use the pumped milk to sooth him & give me a break. During these evening episodes, he has been on my breasts so long that I doubt there is any there to pump.

DS sleeps 2-3hrs at night & usually only takes one breast so last night I decided to sneak a pump session in at 4AM after BF.

sorry for the spelling errors in last message - typing one handed while BF

Your LO is still little... I was pumping the same amount then, and then it increased to 4-5 ounces per pumping session. Slowly but surely, you'll get there. Keep faith. Good luck

make sure that you stay calm and do not panic! stress will hinder your body's willingness to let down your milk while pumping. 15 ounces sounds on the high side to me also. before i went back to work, i thought that i was going to need that much or more also. i have been back to work for two weeks and i am actually pumping more milk at work than my lo eats while i am gone. i have started freezing it to build up a stash. my lo is three and a half months old and weighs about 15 lbs, and she only drinks about 11 ounces of milk while i am gone.

about freezing milk....how long after pumping can you freeze the milk? if i pumped this am...and it is in the fridge can i still freeze it?