Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exreme pain - Where is the special bonding experience I was promised?

Default Re: Exreme pain - Where is the special bonding experience I was promised?

Hi Pink! Please feel proud of what you have accomplished. So many moms never even try to breastfeed, let alone persist for any length of time in the face of obstacles like the ones you've been facing.

I know it must be hard to hear people push breastfeeding at you after you have made the decision to formula feed, but I hope you won't mind if I suggest one last-ditch idea: exclusive pumping. There are moms out there who manage it- I read about one who did it for a year in a book called "The Breastfeeding Cafe" and it gave me hope when I was considering giving up breastfeeding for reasons much like yours. Whatever you decide, I hope you know how much credit you deserve for giving breastfeeding your best try!

Default Re: Exreme pain - Where is the special bonding experience I was promised?

Wow. I felt like I was reading my own paiful story of intial breastfeeding. I'm in week three with my first child and am still battling pain. Youch! We've also had serious weight loss issues so are supplementing with formula and pumping which gives me a little break sometimes when my husband can feed her a bottle of my expressed milk followed by a bottle of formula. The releif from the pain has overwhelmed my sense of guilt over the formula. And that psychological release from dreading the next feeding has made the next feeding more bearable. I wish you the best.

My son also lost 10% early on (9 lbs down to 8 lbs, 2 ozs) and while the LCs were concerned, my pedi said that was normal. As long as the downward trend turns around, don't worry about the 10% issue. Do you pump? I found this less painful early on when nursing hurt so much. Also, did you try a shield? You can buy one at Target? That also helped control the pain for me.

Every day you breastfed your baby is wonderful, and don't feel like a failure if you go to formula! I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you end up taking.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Thanks for the update, Pinkdomino. You've tried so hard! You're an excellent mom. Don't feel bad about giving baby formula. You're doing what is best for baby and yourself. Having said that, breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing decision. If you are able to pump, you can still give baby some breastmilk. Whatever your decision, enjoy your baby! I wish you the very best.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1