Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to be a SAHM - any ideas for work from home?

Default Want to be a SAHM - any ideas for work from home?

I just went back to work on Jan 2nd after being with my dd for 12 weeks. Of course, it has been extremely hard this last week and I hate leaving her every morning. I feel as if I don't have any time with her anymore and I don't want to look back in a few years and have regrets of not staying home. I would love to be a SAHM, and yet have some income coming in from an at-home job.

I was just wondering if anyone has ideas of what at-home careers are out there? Where do I start to look and how?

Thanks for your support!

Default Re: Want to be a SAHM - any ideas for work from home?

Interesting...I have been asking myself that same question for 5 months now...my boys are almost 6 months and I want to be home with them. But we need money too.

I did home day care for about 5 years before my last two kids were born.
    that and we got rid of one car. There are lots of ways you can cut back..
    and most moms find that working is costing them more in day care then they are making.
    back to my day care kids... the great thing about it my William had some playmates durning the day.
    I had 2 full time kids and 2 part time kids.
    The rules are diffent in every state and some have tougher rules then others.
    Here in ohio you don't have to do anything unless your keeping more then 6 kids. So I just stayed under the rules.
    I did take the classes at the adult eve school, and could have gotten certified but didn't.
    try this:
    http://www.crown.org/tools/mommake.asp

I walked away from a lucrative career to be a SAHM, so I totally know how you are feeling about the money and about leaving your baby every morning. I couldn't do it.

We cut back a lot. We got rid of anything we could see ourselves living without, like cable TV, expensive phone plans, fancy internet access (we use a $10 dial up now!), and new clothes (I buy at consignment shops and eBay). We stopped eating out. We stopped buying a lot of things we had simply taken for granted. It was hard. It took about 6 months to get to the bare bones of what we NEEDED versus what we WANTED. We didn't get rid of our second car, mostly because we live in the boonies and to get anywhere is at least a 10 minute drive; I would have been trapped at home, but we thought about it. I don't drive anywhere just for fun. We switched to cloth diapers, and I paid for those by selling the ones I didn't like on eBay and then re-investing the money in diapers.

Then I started watching kids in my home. No, I did not enjoy it -- I don't really like kids other than my own -- but it brought in enough money to pay some of the bills and allowed me to be home with my first son. I did that for a full year until our circumstances changed a bit and I was able to pick up some PT work out of the home once DS #1 didn't need me quite so much and could stay with DH for a few hours at a time. Now, circumstances are very different, and I'm finding that I'm able to work outside the home PT but take DS #2 with me to work; I'm really fortunate in that I found a place that would let me do that.

I know a couple people who raise significant amounts of money by selling stuff on eBay.

If you stay flexible and creative, you never know what might come your way.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have been a SAHM for twenty seven years and plan to do so for at least six more years. Here are some of the things I have done over the years to make that work for our family. It depends on your interests, talents and your child's stage of development. I didn't do all of these things at the same time.

Childcare in my home. If you do this above board then the expenses can be tax deductable and some counties even offer supplemental food programs for lunches and snacks.

Attended school and earned three degrees. I used financial aid packages and work study, graduate fellowships ect. I went to classes while my children were in school but many campuses also have on site childcare that is very inexpensive and you can use it just for the few hours you attend classes. Income earned on campus is tax free.

Join the National Guard, one weekend a month and two weeks a year. You get pay and job skills. My husband did this one.

I did substitute teaching on my husband's days off work and while my children were in school. I did the same when I wanted to work part time at other jobs, I alternated shifts with him.

Teach classes at your local gym or recreation center. Ours provides childcare for moms and teachers in class but you could also offer mommy and me yoga, dance, swimming, gymnastics, craft or music classes.

We really economize with cars that are paid for, not pretty but paid for and dh does his own maintenance most of the time. We shop at thrift stores and garage sales.

Learn to cook with whole foods and eliminate junk from your diets.

If you are in the country you can do dozens of things with animals that will supplement income.

Sell and buy on Ebay.

I used to clean houses and take my youngest with me. You sit them in front of the tv (I know that is evil ) with videos and a bag of toys. As they get older they can help and you give them a few dollars. The families I cleaned for didn't mind. I did pet care too. I used to make $20 an hour cleaning and that was fifteen years ago.

Custom boutique sewing. I have also made dolls that I sold on Ebay.

There is a demand for quality WAHM organic cloth products for CD and mama use.

Live in a smaller house. The kids don't care and they really don't need their own room. If they are small then use one bedroom for family sleep and the other for playroom.

Find out about fun and free things in your community through the recreation department, churches, LLL, library and parks.

Find out when the matinee movies show and when discounts are offered for other things you enjoy doing. Pack your own lunches and snacks when you are going out on the town.

There is a really old book from the seventies that was in the LLL library called the Value of Being There. I don't know if you could find it now but it even recommended that young families use the money that would be saved for retirement or a home equity loan to finance a parent at home in the early years. When your children are older then you will have more time to work and save. They are only tiny once and then that is lost forever.

Cloth diapers, extended breastfeeding and buying new to you from baby consignment shops or mommy swaps can save hundreds each month.

My husband is able to work more overtime because I am always available to care for our children. This can get lonely for me but since he is making more on those days I can justify getting out to the movies or another activity with the kids.

We are pretty self sufficient but if we need to we use WIC, public health nurse or the church food pantry. This is not a habit but when necessary is better for the family than having a parent out of the home.
    Last edited by momuvseven; January 11th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.

I make a sell jewellery and am hoping to add to that soon with a few other crafts I do. It started as a hobby and grew from there.

There seems to be a fairly big demand for being a seller for more natural products for moms and babies, such as Cloth diapers (mentioned by PP) and carriers/slings, baby accessories, etc., out of the home. Also if you're good with a camera, you can take photos for others and put them on a CD, they can develop them themselves. As others said, I know people who sell well on Ebay by watching what REALLY sells on there, and then finding it free or cheap at thrift shops and garage sales, and re-selling it (as used, but they still make a fair bit).

If you're looking for ways to cut down on spending, food is big, check out the "feeding your family" section there are some great ideas for feeding your family on a budget. There are also great books out there on being a SAHM, ones I've read include "Miserly moms" by Joni McCoy, very good about not feeling deprived while on a budget, and also "come home to your children, how families can survive and thrive on one income" by Jones.

I have been a SAHM for the past 8 months, and wouldn't take it back for the world! We struggled for awhile, but as many people mentioned, just went w/o some things. We haven't had cable for the past 6 months, which at first was extremely hard, but now I barely even notice a difference. The main shows i want to watch we have anyway. It might be things like, you might just not be able to go shopping whenever you want and impulse buy. But its all about what you feel is more important....money, or you baby. Though, there are some Moms that just think they can't quit work and need to go back for other reason besides financially. And I do find that I spend way less money being at home than I did when I worked. I don't have to put on makeup everyday, so that saves on make up buying. I don't have to have dressy clothes to wear everyday, can sit in my sweats if I want! So that saves on having to buy a wardrobe for work, don't eat out barely EVER anymore, of course there are exceptions...but I never realized how expensive it can get when you eat out alot! Also, like someone else mentioned, actually cooking your own foods from scratch is awhole lot cheaper, and when you are a SAHM you are able to do more of that sort of cooking.

There are problem tons on things you go look at selling. Like maybe some of those "natural" products, they are really becoming popular I feel.
    Hope you figure something out!

have you ever heard of club freedom?
    http://www.revolvingtravel.com/b/37/
    you can turn $200 into 6,000 by marketing this company. my mom just got her money plus a free vacation. they have an incredible reward program.
    it only took 3 mo for my mom, its really moving fast. i havent gotten mine yet but i'm hoping within 3mo to get it. then you have the chance to earn it again but for free!
    you can also join for $65 through revolving travel (partner co), but it does take longer. let me know if you have questions, i'd be happy to explain it more.
    good luck w/whatver you do!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Wow - thanks for all the great advice!! I know in my heart if I decide to stay home that I will never regret it and my life will be so much more happier and fulfilled!