Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to feed of EBM?

Default How much to feed of EBM?

I think I've seen this question come up before but I can't find it so I'll post it again. I just started back to work very part time but it's necessary for my MIL to give my DS 1 bottle while I'm gone. Problem is I don't know how much. He's 4 1/2 months but was a premie so corrected age is 2 1/2 months and he weighs 11 lbs. Does anyone know how much EBM I should offer him in his bottle? Sometimes when I pump I get an ounce sometimes 3 so I have no idea how much he gets at a feeding. And he's teething and loves to suck right now so if we feed him until he's done he'll take that bottle all day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: How much to feed of EBM?

My midwife told me the easiest way to figure out how much to feed my lo was to take her weight and multipy it by 2.5, then divide it by the average number of feedings in a 24hr. period. So,if your lo is 11lbs: 11 x 2.5 = 27.5oz. of milk. Just divide that by how many feedings your lo has. Of course, this isn't a science, but at least its somewhat of a guideline to follow... Good Luck

Wow! Thanks! I've never heard that before. That definitely gives me a place to start. I'm not really worried about him not getting enough because I feed him at 8am my MIL gives him EBM around 10-10:30 then I'm home by noon to BF. I am more concerned about him getting over fed. I will try that thanks!

Here is a great link with a Milk Calculator on it.

How much expressed milk will my baby need?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thank you for that link! That was very helpful. I actually learned more than I thought I would from that. Thanks!

My LO is 9 weeks old and weighs about the same as your LO. I EP so she only gets bottles of EBM, she takes about 4 ounces at each feeding, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more and she eats usually about every 3 to 4 hours. We feed her when she's hungry and not on a specific schedule so that may make a difference in how much she eats. She also has been sleeping from about midnight till 5am so she's been taking in just over 4 ounces of EBM at that midnight feeding. Hope that helps some.