Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible?

Unhappy Is it possible?

My DS is 4 months old. I have been EPing since he was 2 weeks old. BF was a struggle from the start and I decided BM is the best thing for him so I have been pumping. DS would BF/comfort suck occassionally which was ok with me. The other day he was acting hungry and I was about to pump so I tried to BF, DS just screamed and wouldn't even latch on. I don't know what happened . I have tried to latch him on since then but it is the same thing every time. When he does latch, as soon as he realizes it is my boob, he screams. I want to have some type of BF relationship, even if it is only comfort sucking.

My problem is that I work full time so I can't spend all day cuddling with DS. As soon as I get home I hold him. When DD goes to bed, I usualy hold him skin-to-skin until I go to bed. Co-sleeping isn't an option . What else can I do? My aunt told me to put Karo syrup on my nipples so the baby will have something sweet to suck on. I don't want that sticky mess. Please help - any suggestions are welcome. TIA.

Default Re: Is it possible?

I have heard to try and give the baby the breast while they are very sleepy, or already asleep. Offer the breast to the baby while he is sleeping, he may be willing to take it.

Sorry I don't have much more to offer! I wish you the best!

Hi Amber,
    My LO and I were at a point where she would not even let me hold her in a nursing position, let alone latch on.
    What I found helpful getting her back to the breast are several things:
    Try nursing when he is sleepy, especially at night. My DD was a different baby at night - she would bf without a problem, but the second she fully woke up, she would start screaming if I tried bf-ing her.
    Singing to my LO has helped a lot coaxing her back to nursing. You can try reading stories too.
    If you guys don't co-sleep (we started when she was around 3 mo old - I couldn't have survived at work otherwise) then maybe you can take baths together.
    Offer your breasts any time he seems hungry, don't persist if he rejects. Let him comfort suck after he has finished a bottle and he is willing to.
    I don't think the Karo syrup will help but you can try just to see if it does, althought then you have another problem having your LO latch without the Karo syrup.

My LO stopped nursing during the day when she was 2 mo old. I took me 4 months to get her back to fully nursing when I am home (I am wohm full time too ). It was a combination of the things above that I did. And it is definitely two steps forward one back.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    HTH and let us know it goes

I just wanted to strongly recommend against the Karo syryp. This is a terrible substance for children to be eating in the first place.

Does anyone know if she could use nipple shields to wean the baby back onto the breast? If the baby wants the feel of a bottle, surely that might be an acceptable compromise? Just an idea....

Nipple shield could help too - it was suggested to me by a LC when we had these problems.
    Personally, it didn't help us because my LO knew very well she is still getting the breast and not the bottle.
    On another note, what is the Karo syrup?