Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7-8 without feeds

Default 7-8 without feeds

I'm not complaining but, my dd is just 3 months old and is starting to sleep 7-8 hrs streight through the night. can this long sleeping stint have a bad effect on milk production? At the moment i'm not having any problems but am worried about later on...

Default Re: 7-8 without feeds

I have been very concerned myself. My 10 week old is sleeing 8-8.5 hours a night and during the day is feeding every 4 hours. I am afraid he is not getting enough. His output of wet and dirty diapers is 6-8 wet, 2-3 dirty. Is this normal
    I don't feel like it has had any effect on my milk supply, but the first 2 days after he started sleeping through the night, I got clogged milk ducts in both breasts. I went and got the Leitchin and within the eveining, my clogged ducts were gone.

When babies start to sleep through the night it is improtant to make sure they're getting enough to eat during the day. I personally wouldn't let the baby go longer than 3 hours btwn feeding, but if the output is still ok (ie 6-8 wets), then it's clear the baby is getting enough to eat and must just be an efficent nurser. You really can't over-feed with breastmilk, though, so there's no harm in offering more often to see if baby will take it.

Also, nursing often is much better for your milk supply and the milk from an "emptier" breast has a higher fat content than the milk from an overfull breast.

As long as your baby is continuing to gain weight (a good indication of this is to monitor baby's wet diaper output) then there's no reason to be concerned. Your milk supply will decrease during the night, in this case. But this is alright! If at some point baby decides to wake during the night to nurse again, your supply will adjust to meet baby's demands. It takes about 24-48 hours for your body to respond to the increased demand, however you will have milk -- you always have milk.

Enjoy your sleep!

i read somewhere that once they are beyond a certain weight they have enough stores to sustain themselves for a long night stretch. i also read it has to do with the maturing of the nervous system
    my 10 week old has been doing the same thing for a couple of weeks, not every night of course

Well that makes me feel better. I was getting worried, because I was being told by people that I should be feeding him more. There were times when I would try to feed him more, and he was not interested. Thanks for helping me!