Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit Bubbles?

Default Spit Bubbles?

My 5 week old has recently started having lots of spit bubbles coming from his mouth. He isn't actively blowing them to entertain himself (from what I can tell). Right now hes sleeping, and he was sounding kind of different with his breathing, so I peeked at him, and he has a bunch of little spit bubbles on his lips.

We have been struggling with latch lately, and lots of gas and fussiness. He has a history of reflux aswell. Could these spit bubbles be associated with one of those problems?

Thanks
    Lyn

Default Re: Spit Bubbles?

I just wanted to let you know my 9 wo gets spit bubbles sometimes (and has for awhile). I've never been able to figure out why, tho, and would love to have an explanation. He does not have reflux (as far as I know).

My DD also does this alll the time!! At first she only di dit once and a while now when she's concentrating (like when playing in her exercasuser) she blows them the whole time!! Not sure why but i think its kinda cute!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

DS has them all the time too! My hubby calls him "Rabies mouth"....mean, but funny!

Thanks ladies, you're awesome. I guess I'll chalk it up to a new learned skill. Oh the things they learn. The other day I got out of the shower and saw DS just staring at his hand, moving it a little, and staring at it like it was the most amazing thing he ever saw. SO cute.

I think that the spit bubbles came during REM sleep. His breathing was different, and he was grunting, and his face was expressing all kinds of things: frowning, flaring nostrils, then scrunching his nose. The little cries make me so sad, but I guess its the gas.

I know I need to stop being paranoid about every little change, but its SO hard!!! I feel SO responsible for every aspect of his life. And with his nursing being a little off, I'm worried he's not eating enough (yet he wets and dirties plenty). But I know his nursing at night has been off because....I was getting him up during the grunts, afraid I was not reacting to his hungry cues. Really, he didnt want to get up, and so was fussing at the breast.

Lyn

I LOVE the spit bubbles!! I wish DD still did that. It would always crack me up...yeah, we called her the rabid baby, too