Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I start thinking about introducing the bottle?

Default When do I start thinking about introducing the bottle?

I'm due in 2 weeks and the only thing I plan to keep in my head for now is that when I start, I will focus on the baby and I. I plan to take care of us by getting rest when the baby sleeps and forgetting about household chores, and having my hubby help as much as he desires.

I plan to allow my baby to nurse and finish one breast before offering the next.
    Once I feel comfortable with breastfeeding, I'd like to introduce the bottle (probably after wk 5) since I have to go back to work in a little under 3 months full-time. I don't want to wait too long to introduce in case the baby refuses the bottle. Is the 5 week mark a good time?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: When do I start thinking about introducing the bottle?

Five weeks is a great time. By then your supply should be well developed and you and your baby should be relatively secure in your nursing relationship. Here's a couple of tips about bottles:

1. Offer the bottle when baby is not "starving," but is relaxed. Your introduction may not go too smooth if you try teach a frantic baby a completely new way to eat. Same goes for sick baby, try when baby is healthy and happy, rather than feeling rotten.

2. Try having daddy or someone else give the bottle. Baby may protest too much if it is you.

3. If the first attempt doesn't go so hot, don't worry. Try again with a different brand of nipple, different time of day, try a different person (who knows, maybe baby will love the baba from you).

Good luck, and relax, you're going to be a great mama!

I don't have the reference at my finger tips ... but my recollection is that the optimal window for introducing a bottle is 4 to 6 weeks. You want to wait until after the nursing relationship is well established, but apparently it gets harder if you wait too long. We started a bottle (offered by DH) at 4 weeks and our LO sucked it right down.

some resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We waited until about 3-4 weeks. We had no latch issues, no nipple confusion. He just decided after 4 months of age that he didn't want an artificial nipple. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he didn't have bottles every day (and sometimes not every week.)

Lisa

we intorduced it early... due to engorement, so around 2 weeks,,, i know not ideal but we didnt know what else to do.. so if u have to do it early i dont think its the end of the world.. well it wasnt for us anyways..
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Smile Re: When do I start thinking about introducing the bottle?

I was told to wait until 5 weeks before we had the baby but had to start early. We introduced the bottle at 2 weeks because of weight loss (born 6.2lbs and down to 5.2lbs at 2 weeks) and never had any nipple confusion (but worried greatly about it).
    Our LO will only take Dr. Brown bottles from my husband and Breastflow bottles from me. She often will refuse bottles from me because she would rather nurse with me. Whatever you do, do not go out and spend a ton of money on one type of bottle until you know if your baby likes it.
    Good luck and I hope your labor if fun, fast and fantastic!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

thanks ladies! I appreciate your kind words, hope that I can be a great mommy like all of you and also hope my delivery is smooth!
    Last edited by nywifey; January 11th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

You got some grat advice and I dont really have anything new to add. We waited until about 4-5 weeks. I might have waited longer but DD goes to DCP so we didnt want to wait too long. DD did NOT like me giving her the bottle so DH had to. We gave her one bottle a day for a couple weeks before she went to DCP. She is now 6 months and still prefers the breast and will not let me give her a bottle.