Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheat, yogurt, egg....

Default wheat, yogurt, egg....

what are the exact rules with these foods?? and is it strictly due to the possibility of allergies??
    also, i see that alot of babies are eating strips of toast....im not planning on giving ds white bread or anything enriched for that matter.....but, the whole grain bread we eat is chunky with the grains.....hence my question about the wheat!! im trying to be more confident in giving him finger foods to feed himself.....
    thanks!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Default Re: wheat, yogurt, egg....

I'm not sure what the rules are with these foods...but we've broken them all. My mother babysat my son last weekend while DH and I got away for a few hours. I came home to find out that he'd eaten scrambled eggs with cheese and buttered toast....I can tell you that now that we know he's not allergic, he ate a hard-boiled egg the other day for lunch. i broke it up a little and let him feed himself, and he did but it was really slippery and it was funny watching him try to eat it.

Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food Book recommended yogurt at 6 months and that's what he did. It is by far his favorite. When I first gave it to him, I watched him really closely for any signs of stomach upset and there were none. As time passed I offered it more and more and he now usually eats a 4 oz yogurt every day at lunch/early afternoon.

Take it slowly. Introduce things slowly and don't give a huge amount in one day. Give a half a piece of toast every other day. and then more if he seems ok. same with the others.

the "experts" say 9 months for egg yolks and 1 year for egg whites. "experts" also say my DS is supposed to have 12 vaccines by now, but we don't always listen to the experts.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We did yogurt and wheat between 7 & 8months. Cheerios counts as wheat right? Cheese as well. We held off on eggs until between 10&11months.

Way too lazy for formula

The Super Baby Food book by Ruth Yaron might be up your alley. She gives ages for different foods as well as a ton of healthy recipes. (Her ages sometimes come in a little younger than I've found in other places, but it's a starting point) In addition to allergies, she recommends waiting on some food because they're hard to digest or could be choking hazards. One that I remember is to wait on corn till 18 months because it can be hard on their tummies. In addition to health concerns, the Sears book recommends avoiding processed white bread because it is a choking hazard. Some wheat bread isn't as grainy as others.

Laura

thanks for the info! mainly i want to give him yogurt....im still a little nervous about the toast.....and.....for cheese....what did you start with?? i have heard that cabots doesnt use any growth hormones and that monteray jack was a good soft cheese to start with...what do you guys think?
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

With us, we break some of the "rules", but not all of them. My DH had a milk allergy as a child, so we don't give our almost 10 mo. old any dairy at all...no milk, yogurt, or cheese, and we probably won't until he's officially 12 mos. old. That's what we did with our oldest son, and he had no problems with dairy allergies whatsoever. I've heard you don't have to be THAT strict, but we look at it that he doesn't know he's missing out on those things right now...but he would miss out on chocolate or pizza later on in life, so we just go a couple of months extra without dairy in the hopes that it will give him just a little more time to fully mature.

As far as eggs go though, we do let him have eggs and foods with eggs in them, and we never seperate out the yolk and the white. But with us, we've never had any history of that allergy anywhere, so we felt pretty confident that the DS's wouldn't either, and they don't. Same goes for wheat.

The rules we do follow though are the ones about not giving strawberries and nuts including peanuts and peanut butter. We don't have any history of those allergies, but our ped. said that allergies to those are many times life-threatening, so she suggested we wait on those ones...JIC...since that kind of allergic reaction could kill a baby, even though we don't anticipate that DS will ever be allergic to those.

Everything else we're pretty lax on...except seafood...even I don't eat that, LOL...or sushi...but I don't think I'd feed baby anything I won't eat, LOL.

so its more about family history of allergies at this point than about creating an allergy by introducing it too early?? that is what im worried about maybe....my grandmother has celiac sprue sp? but she didnt have it always, just like the last ten years or so....other than that i dont know of ANY food allergies at all in our families...

I could be totally wrong about this, but I've only heard about babies developing allergies (from eating foods too early, as opposed to just having a predisposition to getting allergies) when they were fed solids too early, like before 6 mos., as their intestines weren't yet ready for solid foods. I've also heard that some of the foods that you're supposed to wait on for baby can be hard for baby to digest, and that's why you follow a kind of schedule, per se, but since your baby is already 9 mos., I think alot of those foods are allowed anyway.

I guess what I'm saying, is that we don't really follow all the rules, we're more lax about most of them, except for the dairy, but, I've also heard that any kid can develop allergies even if there isn't a family history of them, but that's just not something We're very worried about with our kids. So anyway, I think you need to follow your own mommy instincts with that one...I'd hate to lead you astray just because of our own personal way of doing the solid foods thing.

i know exactly what you are saying!! mostly i do follow my instincts but ive been known to worry too! think its the first time mom thing maybe!

A lot of babies like cottage cheese, but I'm not sure what is the best cheese to start with. My kids would eat cheese and yogurts for every meal but since my toddler nurses so much I try to limit it (the dairy foods, not the breastmilk!). I figure a diet of all dairy products isn't very well rounded.