Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice for nighttime fussiness

Default Advice for nighttime fussiness

I feel like my baby is possessed at night. We call nighttime the witching hours. Our baby is 4wks old and for the last several weeks, sometime between 8PM and midnight he will get very irritable, needing to feed constantly. He get very frantic about it. I put him on both breasts but at some point, after an hour or so, I feel so sore I have to take a break. I hold him and walk him back and forth in the house, usually with a pacifier in his mouth. If he doesn't have anything in his mouth, he cries, screams, and is very agitated. During these hours, he gives a very scary shriek which doesn't appear at any other time.

I have been pumping an ounce or two each day and my husband uses this to feed him at the end of several hours of trying to put him to sleep. Around midnight or so, our baby does go to sleep.

I've been reading that this is normal for this age. For those who have experienced this, how long did this last for your baby? Anyone with advice on how to quiet baby during these episodes? Are there babies out there that don't do this? What's it like for formula fed babies? Is it easier to quiet the babies who are on formula?

Thanks.

Default Re: Advice for nighttime fussiness

Sounds like pretty classic colic to me. Colic is usually classified as "unexplainable" crying that starts around week 3 and usually ends by 3 months, often occurs for approximately 3 hours at a time in the evenings. It's not fun, but it is (unfortunately) normal for some babies to have this. Some people attribute the fussiness to gas, hunger, all kinds of things, but most md's dismiss this since it's about the same time every day and it's so unlikely that a baby would ONLY have gas between 8 and midnight, kwim?

Recent research has shown, however, that babies who are held more or worn more tend to display less colicky symptoms.

Good luck and remember, this too shall pass!

Some good reading on the subject:
    Kellymom.com: Colic in the breastfed baby

We went through the exact same thing with our daugther. It started at about 3 weeks and every night at 8pm she'd start screaming bloody murder. We could tell she was so tired, but she would fight sleep so much.

Based on my experience, my first recommendation would be to consider a sling to wear your baby more. And this will especially help in those hours at night when he wants to be held so much.

I found that the more I wore dd during the day, the less she screamed at night. I put it down to the power of human touch.

If you are completely at your wits end, as we were, you can look into Gripe Water. You can get it in a vitamin shop. We had a choice of 2 kinds. One was orange and dd hated that one. The other was clear and it was a miracle. Before I discovered the slings, we would not have survived without it.

You can check out http://thebabywearer.com for more info on different types of carriers.

I am having this problem too, the only thing is she wont take a pacifier or a bottle.

My DS was very cranky and fussy from around 4pm til 8 pm. He would also want to nurse non stop. When I needed a break I would hand him off to my husband. Even a short time helped. He was hard to calm unless he was on my lap nursing. It was very hard if he was cranky during the day when I was alone. Sometimes I would call DH so frustrated and in tears. All of a sudden at around 9 or 10 weeks things changed alot. I kept remembering this is only a very short time and before you know it he will be grown. Already now at 3 months he has grown out of his first clothes , laughs and is so much better. One book I wished would have read is "The happiest baby on the block" because its about those first 3 months. Good luck- just remember this period will be over before you know it.

ITA agree with getting the Happiest Baby on the Block. I got it too late, but I will keep it for the next baby.

It talks about doing the 5 S's - swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging, and sucking.

If you want to read about those now, check out http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html

The book will go into more detail about how/why they work.