Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pediatrician's advice versus my research

Default Pediatrician's advice versus my research

I just went to the ped today for my DD's 6 month visit. She is actually 6.5 months since we wanted to wait until after the holidays. Anyway, my ped, as I expected, was surprised that I had already given my DD bananas and sweet potato rather than rice cereal. She told me to continue with the rice cereal only, and then move on to other grains before going to vegetables first, then fruits. As with all other issues that concern my DD, I have been researching the introduction of solids non-stop, floating around these forums night and day, and generally gathering as much information as possible in order to give my DD the best, most nutritious start, as well as introduce solids in a way that will keep her breastfeeding for as long as possible. So I do have a hard time just accepting what my ped recommends without questioning it a bit. I do like her, but she also recommended that I start rice cereal at 4.5 months, a recommendation that I completely ignored. Every resource I had read said to wait until 6 months at least! I kind of want to stay with her because it makes my life much simpler, but I don't want to have to feel guilty when I tell her things that she may not agree with. Or should I just keep this information to myself? Just wanting to vent a little I guess. Oh, and my MIL also seems surprised and concerned about the foods I have offered. And keeps saying, "maybe if you give her cereal she'll sleep through the night for you." I keep telling her that there is no evidence to that effect, but she keeps bringing it up. Argh. Oh well, I think in my heart I know I am doing what's best. Thanks to all the mommies out there who have helped me out since Gianna was born!

Default Re: Pediatrician's advice versus my research

You keep it up mama! You are doing the best you can for your DD and it's out of love. What i do when my ped suggests things contrary to what we've done is just say, oh thats a good idea we'll consider . Then I consider it and leave it! I use her for a medical resource but not the final word? KWIM? Seems as if you are doing the same. As for the MIL - I have no words of advice otherthan what I like to say a lot - just smile and nod!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaLeigh View Post
    Oh well, I think in my heart I know I am doing what's best.
    i think you got it there....thats how i have been feeling lately too....my dr just thought i was a little whacky for giving lo avacado first but she was ok with it....they (dr and mil) also wanted rice cereal to be the first thing at 4 months and i flat out refused....even though my dr has kids of her own, i assume that she (sadly) hasnt researched introducing solids too much beyond what is 'commonly' done here in the united states as passed down.....i wouldnt change drs unless you got a great recommendation and liked a new one just because it will be hard to find one that agrees with everything you know from researching the most up to date stuff as well as personal parenting choices...which to my knowledge they dont learn too much about in med school you know? and with mil......i found the nodding thing works...its awkward at first to just be silent but....it works!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I wrote a book and lost it
    anyways..
    I like this web site
    http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    it has a list of the world healthiest foods. no place on it is processed baby rice cereal...
    do what you think is best...
    I totaly went agianst what my doctor told me to do... and my kids are no the worse for it. She started the solid advice at about 4 months also... now there was no way that I was going to give my last 2kids baby cereal.. they started with meats and table foods when they were about 9-12 months old.
    They fed themself, and about the only thing I ground up was meat, only because it was easier to grind then to cut it with a knife and cut my fingers.
    there is no wrong or right way to introduce solids...
    but some ways are more healthy then others.

You can either take the "nod and smile" approach, or ask your pedi to back up his or her advice. It doesn't have to be confrontational, you can just say that you've read differently in X source, and you're wondering why your pedi suggests something different. Solids at 4 months definitely is not the current recommendation, as you know. I think a lot of pedis worry about iron, so maybe you can tell him or her that you are willing to test your LO for iron deficiency if that is a worry. The iron in rice cereal is poorly absorbed anyway!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Wow - I needed to read this. DD has her 6 month check up in a week. She is actually 6.5 months too. We have not introduced any solids because we didnt think she was ready. But, she is starting to show signs and I imagine we will give her bananas in the next 2-3 weeks. I know the ped is going to have something to say. We are also skipping rice cereal all together. (much to the shock of everyone in my family and the dcp).

But I now have some encouragement. Thank you mommas!

Remember, all of the things out there on feeding babies are "guidelines," not rules. You are right, follow your heart and your baby's lead.

As for the MIL, it's an argument you'll never win. Keep deflecting, because you won't convince her otherwise.

I second the PP....they're just guidelines. Doctors offer their advice, but it doesn't mean that you have to follow it. It's not like your LO has pneumonia and you're not treating it....

You do what you think is best. You're the parent. You've done your research, so you're not just doing something willy-nilly. Your LO will be fine and in fact will thrive!

Lisa

However....DO take issue w/ your PEDI TELLING you anything! They should be suggesting and telling you WHY they personally are suggesting. But you shouldn't be afraid to push back or tell what you have researched and found. You certainly should NOT have to worry about upsetting your Pediatricians feeling by doing research as a parent and coming to your own conclusions. Pediatricians should be making recommendations and wording it so that that is what if feels like. Because ultimately the decision is yours and that is to be respected at all times!
    If you feel like she's telling you what to do or that she might be "mad" you didn't do what she recommended, those are red flags to me.

Way too lazy for formula

Keep remembering that the pediatrician works for you. You need not feel guilt for questioning their advice.