Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reheating cereal?

Default reheating cereal?

Can you reheat rice cereal or oatmeal with breastmilk using a microwave? I prepared cereal for my LO the other day because I thought she was ready to eat, but she wasn't hungry. I threw it out (directions on the box say to discard unused portions) and prepared a fresh batch when she was ready to eat a bit later. Could I have reheated it?
    Also, can I prepare cereal with bananas and breastmilk and take it prepared for my MIL to feed her a couple of hours later?

Default Re: reheating cereal?

Once you heat up the cereal with breastmilk in it you need to discard any that is left. It is just like when you warm up EBM for a bottle. It is a shame to throw out that precious BM, but bacteria does start to grow. As for making the cereal up ahead of time, that is fine. Just keep it refrigerated.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

If you have spooned out of the container directly into your lo's mouth, you are better off discarding it. If not, then you are probably okay. I prepare cereal for my lo and keep it refridgerated and take it to the sitters for her, but we haven't fed out of it yet. HTH! If not, let me know!

I wanted to add b/c the pp beat me to it that it is okay to re-use heated breastmilk once within a 4-hour period. But not more than once and not after 4 hours.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

If you've fed her out of the container already, then I think you need to throw it out. I'm not sure about reheating though. I think if I'd heated it once, I'd throw it out, rather than putting it back in the fridge and heating again. In the future though, you could try giving cold cereal. I give my LO cereal mixed with cold breastmilk and he loves it (then you don't have to worry about the reheating problem at all).