Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Iron, must suppliment, what to do with expressed milk

Default Re: Low Iron, must suppliment, what to do with expressed milk

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    dr sears has some info on his web site also
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp
    Thanks, there was alot of helpful tips there. I will ask my docter when she calls later why she gave me numbers like 31.1, while you and Dr Sears are taking numbers like 11 and 12. I will clarify this with her.

I'm not sure they aren't the same thing...Did they do a full blood work up?And draw 3 vials of blood?
    theres some info on this link read down twards the bottom theres a box that compairs the tests.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Hematocrit (Hct) says normal is 33-42.. so it sounds like hes just a little bit low and you should be able to correct it with some diet changes..
    the formula advice just is plain out there.....

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I'm not sure they aren't the same thing...Did they do a full blood work up?And draw 3 vials of blood?
    theres some info on this link read down twards the bottom theres a box that compairs the tests.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Hematocrit (Hct) says normal is 33-42.. so it sounds like hes just a little bit low and you should be able to correct it with some diet changes..
    the formula advice just is plain out there.....
    Yes, that number was the Hematocrit number. I am still waiting to hear back from the doctor for other options like the one you suggested. I am definately getting an over all feeling that this ped does not fully understand breastfeeding.

Before you go supplementing I would check it again in a few days. Has he been sick? Your iron levels can drop when you have a virus. Maybe he is battling something and you do not know? If it was me I would not use formula...Let us know what happens? Brittan-

I do not know anything about supplementing but the other moms seem to be helping you with that. I just wanted to suggest, if you do end up with extra milk that you can not use you can donate it to a milk bank.
    http://www.hmbana.org/
    They collect milk and use it for sick babies - you can donate and save a life.

Good luck and please keep us posted as I too have low iron and I worry my doc will say the same at some point.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

If you can, I would go with the other ladies advice of adding iron drops as opposed to formula. I think those "who don't understand" (to encompass all of them) often advise giving up on breast milk at any opportunity as though it's "the root of all evils", when all it is is that they don't understand how wonderful it is.

As has been said, your son will absorb iron better in the breastmilk, not to mention all the other benefits he's getting from it.

All I can say is that my doctors were horrified that my son was still getting breastmilk after 9 months. I was told to supplment with formula because the woman though my milk would now be too watery to fulfil him, despite the fact that he has been gaining weight well - is rather a large lad actually and has no health problems. Again, it's just a quick option for them, they dismiss breastmilk because they don't understand it (or, as I often think, they did not breastfeed themselves and recommend what they did, or feel guilty for not doing it themselves; I think it's hard for some people to admit that what you're doing is actually better than what they did for their own children and it's easy to disguise that by convincing themselves that breastmilk is no good).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin View Post
    If you can, I would go with the other ladies advice of adding iron drops as opposed to formula. I think those "who don't understand" (to encompass all of them) often advise giving up on breast milk at any opportunity as though it's "the root of all evils", when all it is is that they don't understand how wonderful it is.

As has been said, your son will absorb iron better in the breastmilk, not to mention all the other benefits he's getting from it.

All I can say is that my doctors were horrified that my son was still getting breastmilk after 9 months. I was told to supplment with formula because the woman though my milk would now be too watery to fulfil him, despite the fact that he has been gaining weight well - is rather a large lad actually and has no health problems. Again, it's just a quick option for them, they dismiss breastmilk because they don't understand it (or, as I often think, they did not breastfeed themselves and recommend what they did, or feel guilty for not doing it themselves; I think it's hard for some people to admit that what you're doing is actually better than what they did for their own children and it's easy to disguise that by convincing themselves that breastmilk is no good).

Good luck!
    It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance some people have about breast feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan View Post
    Before you go supplementing I would check it again in a few days. Has he been sick? Your iron levels can drop when you have a virus. Maybe he is battling something and you do not know? If it was me I would not use formula...Let us know what happens? Brittan-
    He has been sick with some colds, but has been over it for about two weeks. I don't think he is fighting anything, because I believe the blood tests would have picked it up.

I have decided not to suppliment. Futher more, my son will not drink the formula, he hates it. Because his numbers were only slightly low, I have made it a priority to feed him iron rich foods in combination with Vitiman C enriched foods to aid in iron aborption. I am going to contact the doctor today and ask to scheule a pick test to check his blood in two weeks.

Thanks Brittan

IT can take months for low iron to get any beter even with the iron drops.
    try not to worry too much!

Quote Originally Posted by ctkubis View Post
    He has been sick with some colds, but has been over it for about two weeks. I don't think he is fighting anything, because I believe the blood tests would have picked it up.

I have decided not to suppliment. Futher more, my son will not drink the formula, he hates it. Because his numbers were only slightly low, I have made it a priority to feed him iron rich foods in combination with Vitiman C enriched foods to aid in iron aborption. I am going to contact the doctor today and ask to scheule a pick test to check his blood in two weeks.

Thanks Brittan
    Glad you decided not to supplement!

I went through this with both of my boys at about the same age. I chose to not give the drops but increase both our intake of iron rich foods. He went in for a check a month later and all was fine. Ha, the doctor thought it was the iron drops, until I told him it was our diet! (which is a much better way to get what your body needs anyway) He just had his 15 month well visit and the doctor checked again and his levels are perfect.

IMO - it's always worth trying a more natural way first, if that doesn't work then you can try other options.