Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Iron, must suppliment, what to do with expressed milk

Default Low Iron, must suppliment, what to do with expressed milk

Hello ladies

I need your help. My son is border line anemic (low iron) and needs to be supplimented two times a day with iron fortified formula. Basically we are going to give him formula instead of the two expressed breastmilk packages that we normally give him. Currently our son is 10 1/2 months old, and was planning to mostly wean him at 12 months. My problem is this, I already have a huge supply of expressed bm, and now I will have a even bigger one if I still pump two times a day a work like I normally do. I need advise as to wether to stop pumping at work or not. My fear is if I stop, my supply will really go down and hurt our evening and early morning nursing relationship. I have toyed with just doing one pump at noon. What do you all think.

Thanks

Default Re: Low Iron, must suppliment, what to do with expressed milk

I think you got some bad advice?
    what about adding iron drops?
    Thats the normal corse... the iron in formula and drops isn't as well absorbed as the iron in breast milk...
    at 10 months also all of the foods that he is eating could be iron ritch foods.
    What were his iron levels?
    My dd had low iron and the doctor had the adult chart for looking up iron levels so it make it seam much worse then it realy was.
    WE even got a trip to the childrens hosptail for a battery of tests..
    she had a finger prick of 5.
    After about a month of treatment with floridix (its from the health food store)
    and beter absorbed then formula company drops.. her iron level was 11..

Well the doctor said the iron drop suppliment caused alot of constipation, and my son has had problems with that in the past, so I think the compromise is ok. But honestly, I am really NOT LIKING to suppliment at all. I am not in favor of using formula. I don't know his exact levels, the doctor just told me he is border line anemic. I might call and see if they can tell me the level.

I called and the level is 31.1 and normal is 33-39. I told the nurse that I don't think that is too far from the norm and asked her to speak to the doctor about any other options. The flordix suppliment you have your dd, is it just for iron or a combination of additives? Did it cause constipation?

You can offer more iron-rich foods. In conjuction with the drops you should give it with some liquid vitamin C to help the absorption of the iron. You can give him some prunes or yogurt to counter the iron drops. YoBaby makes a 6-pack of apple/mixed fruit yogurt that has added iron to it (45% of the RDI of iron). We gave that when I was neurotically worried about his iron (which the doc wasn't even worried about checking).

There are many alternatives to formula. I would investigate them all before supplementing.

Which makes me ask a question...is it common for pediatricians to test babies iron at a certain age. Shiloh sees a FP doctor and he's never suggested testing him. I had my midwife test him because I was worried, but the doctor said that they won't test him until he's between 2 and 3 years old. Is my doctor in the minority? (sorry to hijack)
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

my doctor does at 9 months and we skiped the test..
    its a full blood test...
    they do the finger prick at wic every 6 months thats much less stressfull on baby then the blood test. Her finger prick was 5 at about 16 months but she was born early and I think that had alot to do with it.

formula can cause the baby to be constipated also!
    heres a link to the flora dix

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/r4771.asp

dr sears has some info on his web site also
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    my doctor does at 9 months and we skiped the test..
    its a full blood test...
    they do the finger prick at wic every 6 months thats much less stressfull on baby then the blood test. Her finger prick was 5 at about 16 months but she was born early and I think that had alot to do with it.

formula can cause the baby to be constipated also!
    heres a link to the flora dix

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/r4771.asp

Thanks, another question. My health food store also has floridix but it is Floridix Iron plus herbs. Is that what you have your dd? They don't carry just Floridix Iron.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    You can offer more iron-rich foods. In conjuction with the drops you should give it with some liquid vitamin C to help the absorption of the iron. You can give him some prunes or yogurt to counter the iron drops. YoBaby makes a 6-pack of apple/mixed fruit yogurt that has added iron to it (45% of the RDI of iron). We gave that when I was neurotically worried about his iron (which the doc wasn't even worried about checking).

There are many alternatives to formula. I would investigate them all before supplementing.

Which makes me ask a question...is it common for pediatricians to test babies iron at a certain age. Shiloh sees a FP doctor and he's never suggested testing him. I had my midwife test him because I was worried, but the doctor said that they won't test him until he's between 2 and 3 years old. Is my doctor in the minority? (sorry to hijack)

Yes, pretty common around 9-10 months to check iron, lead, etc. They look to make sure all levels are normal.

its iron and herbs..
    the herbs are were the vitaman c comes from I think..