Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt or low milk supply?

Default growth spurt or low milk supply?

My baby just turned 3-week-old yesterday. For the past few days he has been nursing rather erratically and constantly. My LC said that if he sleeps for 1-2 hours after nursing that means he has enough milk. The thing is he's not sleeping much during the day - more like catnaps - ranging from few minutes to half an hour. But he does sleep for 2 hours straight at least once or twice during the morning/afternoon. His night pattern (from 10pm-7am) is more predictable - he nurses for half an hour to an hour and then sleeps for 1 1/2 to 2 hours straight.

Since he's not sleeping much after each feeding, does that mean that I have not enough milk for him? Or does that just mean he's going thru a growth spurt? Sometimes he nurses almost every hour -- he feeds on 1 breast (a few times in 1 hour if he falls asleep n wants to nurse again) and the next hour, he's hungry again n i'll give him the next breast. i feel pretty "drained out" with this -- wonder if my breasts are producing enough milk for his hourly feedings!

is it normal for a 3-wk-old to be awake so much during the day - well he's not exactly wide awake the whole time... just not in deep slumber for hours.

thanks for your input!

Default Re: growth spurt or low milk supply?

My dd started to nap during the day at 2.5 months. Until then she would sleep on the breast and when I tried to put her down she was awake. A midwife had also told me that if they nap less that 1.5-2 hours they don't get enough and I was very worried at the beginning. At some point I realised that very simply my baby needs less sleep. There are other signs to look if your baby is getting enough, weight gain, wet/dirty diapers, if he is happy between feedings, etc.
    Also at this age, it is very common to nurse every one hour during the day, I was keeping a log and mine was spending 6-8 hours at the breast every day!!! Normally after 6 weeks it is getting much better.
    Good luck, keep up the good work.

There is a growth spurt around the 3 week mark. If you nurse him on demand he will have enough. My baby practically lived on the breast for the first 2 mo of his life. His naps were (and still are) very short.

As for your supply just keep an eye on the diaper output and watch his weight. What comes out must have gone in kwim?
    Keep up the good work. These first few weeks are the hardest. experience speaking

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Sounds like a growth spurt to me. Keep nursing on demand like the PP said. Your body will respond by making more, and your LO will get enough. Don't worry too much about sleep patterns now....your baby will get enough sleep, and the only true way to know if your baby is getting enough is if there are enough wet & poopy diapers (and your pedi weight checks show that your baby is gaining).

The first growth spurt is a doozy, but if you can get through this, it does get easier.

Lisa