Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: insufficient glandular development

Unhappy insufficient glandular development

i just read about this problem when it comes to milk supply.....the never feeling engorged or milk never really coming in and the breast never changing during pregnancy wich mine didnt at all.....iv never felt engorged and my breasts well one is really odd looking...it looks like it is missing the bottom half of the breast...so i am wondering if this is my problem...would a lll local leader be able to tell by looking at me...???? how would i figure out if i am in this horrible category?

Default Re: insufficient glandular development

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep99p75.html

heres a good link...
    It says very rare.
    I don't know if your local leader would know by looking.
    What has your doctor said?
    How old is your baby?
    Are you giving suppliments? Do you think you need to give suppliments?

my baby is 12 weeks old today.....yes supplements are nessesary.....she is eating about 2oz per feeding...about 2 feedings are ebm...and the rest is formula...this has been pretty true since the beginning but she is bigger now so she does eat a bit more now...the outline of this problem seemed to fit what my breasts do so that is why...i know its rare but it just sounds like my breasts

Hi,

I too have had to supplement because I believe I have IGT. There are many pro-breastfeeders who will not admit that there are some of us out there, but there are, and from what I've found, lactation consultants are reluctant to diagnose people with the disorder. Just follow your instinct, I have tried everything in the book to increase my supply and I still have to supplement half of my ds's needs. (about 18 ounces per day). I did however increase my supply which I am very grateful for LLL and their support there. No one has diagnosed me, but I know that I have it, my ds lost over a pound after birth, was dehydrated, as for my breasts, I have all the characteristics (wide space between them, uneven, droppy look (I am only 24), I never felt engorged when my milk come in, and I have only felt engorged because my ds has occasionally slept through the night. I hate to sound discouraging, by all means despite my problems I love to bf my ds. He just turned six months yesterday and I plan to bf him until he is one year, maybe even longer. From what I've read about the disorder is that there are varying degrees, some people can barely make any milk, others can still provide a fully supply or close to it. I am stuck right in the middle. I am grateful I can give my ds half of his needs, but I still wish I didn't have to supplement at all. On a positive note, I have read that with subsequent babies supply may increase, so perhaps I may never be able to provide 100% breast milk, but maybe next time I will be able to give more than 50%. Just remember that any breast milk is great for your baby, that is what has kept me going this long despite all the challenges and oppostion from many pro-formula relatives who just assume I give up because I cannot give ds 100% breastmilk.

I think many LC, and pro-breastfeeders have a hard time recognizing IGT because it is rare, and many women would just write their breastfeeding problems off as that, when they really don't have it. Although I wish that they would have some kind of system in place for those that may have it, to follow up with them so thing like infant dehydration didn't occur, like to my ds. Next time though, I will be prepared and will not let things go so far as for the next lo to get dehydrated.

Thanks

Sorry,

I forgot to add that when I told my ob/gyn about my problems with breastfeeding, even told her that only breast grew during pregnancy/after delivery, she seemed to think that it was very strange. From my research I have found that many doctors don't even know about this rare condition, except for comestic surgeons. Also the IBCLC where I delivered never thought anything of the look of my breasts, and recently I talked to a IBCLC over the phone who I expressed my concern about having IGT, she seemed to write it off because I told her if my ds sleeps through the night I get engorged, but I have read that some women do get engorged with IGT. Like I said earlier there are varying degrees. I am not sure how severe your problems are, but I wish you all the luck. I have found that the herbal pills--fenugreek don't help increase my supply, but the one that did was goat's rue, but it is very expensive so I was only able to use it for few weeks. Keep going, you'll be glad you did perserve despite all the supply problems you have had.

Hi, I too believe I have this problem. I tried pumping after pumping, fregneuk, mother's milk tea and no luck at buidling my supply. I looked in to it. I haven't talked to my doctor about it b/c he will not give me the chance it seems to talk about it. I may have to call and talk to the nurse about it. The LLL group saw didn't know what the problem was just that at 1 wk pp I didn't appear to the leader to have any milk and my son nursed the entire hour we were at the meeting yet was still sucking on his fist. I am now pregnant with my last baby and wondering if there is hope I can do this again. I am in nursing school so I don't know how much I can handle considering I will be pushed into just doing formula all the time. I have an SNS ready to go just need to get some more tubing. I am the same size (cup size) that I was prior to children. I never leak, never feel engorged. This time around I am having more breast tenderness so maybe something is going to be different. I also self diagnosed as having PCOS so my family doc got me on metoformin. that seemed to increase my production some. I can use a Purely Yours pump and only get drops out of and that is going 30-45 min at a time. the only thing is sore nipples. I hope you all the best and don't let my story scare you.