Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 month old-not enough milk

Unhappy 3 month old-not enough milk

Hi there,
    I am BFing my 3rd child who has just reached 3 mos old. She was 6-2 @ birth, dropped to 5-14 and was 9-15 today. She has gained 3.9 oz per week the past 4 weeks. She is extremely fussy and never seems satisfied at the breast. She often stops swallowing after 1-2 minutes at the breast. I know if I could keep her there another letdown would happen in a few minutes, but she absolutely screams when the milk stops flowing. I have never been a huge producer. I'm taking domperidone (last 2+ mos)to try to boost my supply and have started fenugreek and am trying to get hold of some blessed thistle. I use breast compression, super-switch nursing, and put her to breast more times throughout the day than I can count. She sleeps with me and nighttime seems to be the only time of day she is satisfied. We have a huge family history of multiple food allergies, so formula scares the pants off of me. I think the difference with this baby, compared to my last two, is that she is so fussy. She burns so many calories screaming. I think she seems hungry and it's heart wrenching. I have tried to give her some (precious) EBM by bottle with very little success. Pumping is not a great experince for me. Having such a fussy baby needing so much time is hard on my other two kids. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? Thanks!

Default Re: 3 month old-not enough milk

I have noticed that my dd needs to be alone with me to nurse for a longer feed. When my ds is around she doesn't nurse as long as when it's just her and I. Have you tried nursing her in your bedroom during the day?

Good luck!

Sheryl

You mentioned pretty much everything I would try exept prolonged skin to skin contact. Its supposed to increase your milk supply while stimulating the baby to nurse at the same time. How many wet diapers are you getting per day? With sposies its considered healthy to get 5-6 wet and 2-3 dirties. Lots of babies start off slow and are these huge tubs of fat by 8 monthes. Hang in there!

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies. She has 5-6 moderately wet CLOTH diapers each day plus 2-3 liquid yellow poops. My concern is that my ability to satisfy her seems to be getting worse...

Can you rent a scale and weight her before and after feedings to see how much she is actually getting? How is your thyroid - any family history of hypothyroiditis (post partum thyroiditis is a good reason for a low milk supply)?
    What about any possible allergies in your LO to anything in your diet (which could explain the slow weight gain and fussiness during the day)? You can keep a food diary to see if she is fussier after you are eating any particular food.
    Also if you can - try pumping couple of times a day in addition to the feedings.
    Sorry - more questions than answers but I am hoping any of the above could help you figure this out!

Thanks for the replies! I have been considering the food allergy question, thinking in particular about dairy. My husband has multiple food allergies and my second child had a dairy allergy that she grew out of. The symptoms I saw with my 2nd child's allergy while I was BFing included raw rashy bum, spitting up +++, green poops, eczema...none of these with this child. Does a dairy allergy ever manifest itself with JUST fussiness & slow gain & no other symptoms?
    As for the pumping, I never seem to be able to fit it in. She feeds every 1-2 hrs and if I happen to pump just before she ends up feeding, she seems TERRIBLY dissatisfied and we don't seem able to catch up. She also will not take the EBM from a bottle, cup, dropper, or feeding tube. I end up squeezing it into her and she screams and I feel awful!
    I've looked into the scale possibility, but cannot rent one here and they are hugely expensive to buy.
    So...any thoughts on the allergy issue? Could it be the culprit with no other symptoms?

Thanks for all your help!

I am really not sure about the allergy thing - my LO has allergy/intolerance to dairy, soy and eggs and her only visible symptoms were extreme fussiness during feedings and in general and mucousy stools. She also has/had hidden blood in her bm's which I became aware of only after the pedi did a test. So I guess it is possible that she is reacting to something in your diet. The best thing is to talk to your pedi and consider cutting out dairy and possibly soy as about 40% of children with dairy intolerance have a problem with soy.
    I bought a scale - it was $60 from amazon and it is called health-o-meter. For me it was a good investement as I pay $15 co-pay everytime we visited the ped's office ofr weight check. PM me if you are interested and need more info about it.
    HTH and keep us posted!

I just thought of something else to boost milk supply. Fennel tea. Steep a bag of fennel tea for 15 minutes and drink at least 3 bags / day. I did this when I BF my first child and it worked for me.

Good luck!

Sheryl

I pump AFTER the baby is done eating if I am trying to encourage more milk, and don't want to take any from bb.

Yes, I do pump after I BF, but sometimes that ends up being before a feed if my baby decides she needs to feed again right away. She's very unpredictable that way, often has 3-5 shorter feeds in a 2 hr period or feeds every 1-2 hours. I wish I could predict when she is not going to want "on" again right away so I'd know which feeds I should pump after.