Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working and Night waking

Default working and Night waking

I will be returning to work soon and I was wondering how do u ladies work full time and BF at the same time? My other question is what do u guys do at night when your son's or daughter's nurse during the middle of the night etc and u have to wake up early the next morning......any advice or ideas??

Default Re: working and Night waking

I was wondering the same thing, but I guess that we mothers can do a lot more than we believe. This is my second week at work, I usually go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 6.30. I nurse once during the night around 2-3 am, but my dd is 4mo and nursing only lasts for 15-20 minutes, so it is not a big deal. Some times we also take a nap in the afternoon the three of us, mom, dad and baby.
    It needs some time to find your rythms, I wish you good luck.

I was definately wondering the same thing. My dd has been going to bed earlier but I just cant fall asleep right away (she's been going to bed around 8pm, but before this she NEVER went to bed before 11pm, no matter how hard I tried). She wakes every few hours to nurse (normally sleeping 4 hours, then 2-3 hours, then 2, then up for the day). I'll be waking up at 4:30am for work, and even if I went to bed with her at 8 I still wouldnt get much sleep (because of all the night nursing).

The female body is truly amazing! I have been working 33 hours a week since dd was 10 weeks old...and have been getting up 3+ times a night with her. There have been the occasional 1x nights, but she has never slept through the night and more often its 3 or 4 times. Last night she woke up 5 times, from 6:30 pm to 6:00 am this morning. I usually go to bed right after her first wakeup, around 9 or 9:30 and that is her longest sleep stretch..somewhere around 3.5 hours. Then up every 1.5 hours or so. Your body will truly adjust. I do get to sleep until 6:00, though, so I get decent sleep. As your babies get older they will likely sleep more at night and less during the day, and you might be able to gradually work them toward going to bed earlier. When the time changed we did it in 15 minute increments, and that seemed to not disrupt her too much.

At first I remembered every night how much she got up. Then I read to try not to count, and not to feel sorry for yourself about how much sleep you are missing out on. That is great advice. I stopped counting, andnow I swear sometimes I sleepwalk to her room to get her (we couldn''t cosleep), sleep nurse through the nursing session, which usually lasts 15 minutes, and sleepwalk back to bed. She does go right back to sleep most nights, so I am very fortunate in that regards.

You will adapt, and your circadian rythyms will adapt. The best advice is truly to stop watching the clock and counting the times the baby nurses. I still do it from time to time (like Sunday night when she nursed 6x in 2 hours) and I do feel sorry for myself, but I can't stand the thought of not going to her when she clearly needs me. I just keep reminding myself that at some point, she will sleep through the night. And gosh, I hope it happens soon !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have been working full-time (40 hrs week) since my son was 8 weeks old. for the first 8 weeks, he wouldn't sleep elsewhere but in my arms and would wake up every hour or two. I was going crazy with lack of sleep and wondered how i was going to function during the day at work. the weekend before i was to return to work, he suddenly slept in the crib for longer than one hour. sometimes he sleeps for 2-hr stretches, sometimes less. then i had to move into my bed b/c he was such a light and restless sleeper. i was able to get more sleep with him sleeping near me instead of getting up every 30 minutes to shush him back to sleep. he's 9 months now he still wakes up 2-3 times at night. i'm still pumping 3x's at work. i don't think much about the lack of sleep and just accepts that as a daily routine and hope that he will no longer wake up at night one day! my body kinda adjust and although i'm soo tired in the morning, when i look at my son every morning i know that it's all worth it!!!

I went back to work full time when my ds was 3 months old. What helped us was bringing his crib into our room and put it in a side card position next to our bed. I just roll over to feed him 3x a night and roll back to my bed. It has worked well for us. The next hurdle is he will soon be 1 year and I am looking to start to wean him from his night feedings and being our room. So wish me luck!

I've been back at work for almost 3 months. The first couple of weeks were a little rough with everyone adusting to a new schedule and with LO reverse cycling because he wasn't taking much EBM at day care. On a typical night I'm up twice to nurse (we don't co-sleep) but it can be more if LO is cluster feeding in a growth spurt. I got a big comfy robe for nighttime nursing so I stay warm and can doze a little while nursing. Generally LO will go right back to sleep after nursing but if I'm having a hard time getting him to go back to sleep like when he wants to be chatty at 2am I hand him to DH and go back to sleep myself. On the weekends I do try to get some naps when LO is napping and get a little caught up on sleep. I think the longest block of sleep I've had is 5 hours and then I tend to wake up because my breasts are full and since LO hasn't woken I start to worry (silly, huh?). In the past I hadn't done well on little sleep so am suprised that I'm more or less doing ok on reduced sleep. I consantly try to get myself to go to bed earlier so I can get a little more sleep but somehow that never seems to happen.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Because I couldnt figure out the side-lyiing nursing position and I was afraid to co-sleep, I would get up numerous times per night, get him out of the bassinett, go sit in the chair, and nurse. After the first week back to work and being a zombie, I decided to master the sidelying position so I could take naps when I got home from work. Then I realized that I had never rolled over on him when we took our naps, so why was I so fearful of bed night nursings? So after 3 feedings before 4 am, I took him into bed, and I havent looked back since. I dont need naps. I dont look at the clock, nor do i really know many times we nurse at night. I just trust my mothering instincts. Good luck!

I went back to work when my DS was 10 weeks old. Prior to that he was sleeping in a crib next to our bed and I'd get up and prop us up with pillows and a boppy and we'd go at it. Then when I went back to work I was sooooooooooooooo sleepy and I was afraid he might roll off the boppy or something so we tried side lying in bed. At first I tried to transfer him back to the crib then that became a pain and often I fell asleep and my husband would come in and see us sleeping or try to transfer DS back to the crib and he'd wake up. We ended up just deciding to co-sleep all night. I try to be in bed by 10 so I can handle all the waking but like the pp mentioned, often I don't remember how many times we were up. He's now 7 months old and still gets up 4-7 times/night so I'm glad we're co-sleeping. We lowered the bed to the floor and removed the covers, tucked pillows in all the spaces he might fall in and we're good to go. I sleep with comfy button down flannel pjs and a nursing tank and we put a ceramic heater in the room so we can stay comfy. DH is very supportive of the whole thing. Love it!

I have been doing it for 2 years. My son is a horrible sleeper and still wakes every 2 hours or so to nurse or somehow be comforted. Sometimes he does not go back to sleep for an hour or more. We co-sleep and there have been times during the night where I thought I would die of exhaustion. But, the weird thing is, I am not that tired during the day. I guess my body is used to being up at night and I am able to function. Probably not fully - but good enough.
    I also go to bed pretty early. About an hour or so after my son goes down. I might spend almost 12 hours in bed some nights, but I might sleep less than half of it.

So, go to bed as early as you can. That should help. It can be done. Coffee helps, of course.