Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 mo old night nursing questions

Default Re: 6 mo old night nursing questions

I am also co-sleeping with my 7 1/2 month old and she is still waking every 2 hours to nurse. I am not sure if I should start putting her in her crib to sleep, although I know she will fight me on that big time. She at one point, around 4 months when she was in her bassinet, sleeping 6 hours straight. Will we ever get a good sleep again?

A nurse practitioner told a mom's group that I attend, that if an older baby (cosleeping) is waking a lot at night to feed it could be because he/she is smelling your bm, once they get a whiff of it, they want it. She suggested swapping sides of the bed with your hubby so that he is closest to the cosleeper, putting some distance between you and your LO's sniffer . I suppose it is worth a shot. It makes sense to me, although I've never tried it.

One thing that has helped lessen the frequency of night nursings for my daugher (7.5 months old) was actually to lengthen the time between nursings during the day. This is pretty counter-intuitive, so it took me awhile to figure it out. Now that she's nursing about every 4 hours during the day, she's used to not filling her tummy for 4 hours. We nurse to sleep around 8 pm, and she'll sleep until 12 or 1 am. Nurse again, and then back to sleep until 4 or 5. After nursing then, she'll drift off to sleep for another couple of hours. Every 4 hours at night gives me much more sleep than every 2 hours! Maybe it will work for someone else, too! BTW, we don't co-sleep. It just never worked well for my family.

I think that co-sleeping might be what the problem is. I think she is aware that I am there and so when she wakes searches for my nipple so she can nurse and fall back off to sleep. If I dont give it to her she starts getting frantic and shakey. I feel I have created a habit for her to fall back to sleep by nursing. Anyone know how to break this?

My DS is 7 months and still nurses every 2-3 hrs during the night. We co-sleep, so neither one of us wakes all the way up, so it doesn't bother me too much. On occasional times that it was more frequent, then I was getting really tired. If he doesn't nurse back to sleep, then he wakes all the way up and I have to get up to soothe him...that is much more tiring for me, so I am glad that nursing to sleep works most of the time!!

If you do want to encourage less night nursings, Pantley's The No-Cry Sleep Solution has some ideas on how to do it gently.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering