Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 mo old night nursing questions

Default 6 mo old night nursing questions

I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered a 6 month old who still nurses all night? I am back to work (for about 2 months now), my baby is teething (already has 2) and wakes up every 2-2.5 hrs at night to nurse. My husband tried to help settle her so I can sleep, but she wants to nurse. We do co-sleep in bed, I've tried her in the cosleeper to see if she would wake less if I was farther away, but not so. Is this normal? Anyone else out there with a similar experience?

Thanks!

Default Re: 6 mo old night nursing questions

Hi! I just posted a similar question. My ds (who is now 8yrs) also bf a lot at night (every 2 hours). I'm a SAHM, so I was around during the day to BF but my son and now my daughter nurse a lot at night. I try to do everything that I believe would make her wake a lot in the night (ie: nurse frequently during the day, sleep with her, take naps with her during the day). She still wakes frequently. Know that you're not alone. My motto as a mother is: "this to shall pass".

Sheryl

I'm a SAHM and my son did the same thing at that age. And, I think it's pretty typical espcecially for moms who are working to have LOs who reverse cycle, getting most of their nutrition at night. At least you are co-sleeping so your rest doesn't get interupted as much. BTW, my son is now 11 mo and still wakes at least once or twice every night to nurse.

I was actually just thinking about this too - my son is just a little over six months and still waking to nurse two or three times a night. We co-sleep and I'm at home all day, so I think he's just used to having the breast all the time. I'm not sure if he'll just magically start sleeping all night or if I need to do something to night wean him. I love co-sleeping, but I think that's probably contributing to the all night nursing he's doing.

My son is 6.5 months and still wakes up to nurse once or twice at night (unless he's not feeling well, then it will be more often). I really do find that he sleeps much longer when he is in his own crib. When he starts to stir when we co-sleep, I'm prone to just nurse him back to sleep. If he's in his room, he is likely to stir and put himself back to sleep without waking me. Ds is a very restless sleeper, and while I enjoy co-sleeping, it is not very restful for either of us .

My first son did not sleep through the night on a regular basis until he was 8 months old.

HTH,

Angela

My LO is 6 months old and still nurses atleast twice a night.. Sometimes we co sleep sometimes we don't but she still gets up and eats a few time a night.. I am nursing on demand so I really can't complain, but I do hope in the next few she will start trying to sleep through the night..People have advised to me let daddy pick her up and rock her back to sleep on one of the feedings and she should start sleeping through the night..but I am a sucker for her cry and can't help it.. I love to breast feed,but I have noticed that when we do sleep together she eats more than when I nurse her and put her back to bed, maybe she can just smell it and know it is there and heck why not.... but a full night sleep whould be fantastic..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I'm sorry that everyone else is having such a hard time with sleeping at night... but still, it's nice to know we're not alone! My son is almost 6 months old - he was sleeping great a couple months ago (with at least one 4-7 hour stretch every night), but lately he's been back to waking 3-4 times a night (every 2-3 hours at least, sometimes more). We cosleep too, and I'm planning to try to transition him to his crib within the next month or so. But I hope that he'll sleep longer stretches then, so I don't have to trudge all the way to his room several times through the night!

I have this same issue with my almost 6 mo old. At around 3 mo old, she was sleeping about 6 hours a night then waking to nurse then sleeping for about 2-3 more hours. When she was doing this, I was co-sleeping but getting up to my chair to nurse her then returning to bed. I then started to nurse her in the bed and not get up. That's when she started waking every 1-2 hours to nurse every night. She still continues to eat atleast every 2 hours. It is not very restfull. I too nurse her back to sleep when she starts to stir. I just can't talk myself into getting up to nurse her again(I would usually fall asleep in my recliner which isn't very comfy). My first son slept with us till he was 3 years old, so my lo isn't going to her own bed soon. I keep telling myself the feedings will stretch out on their own, but so far they haven't. Only time will tell, maybe I'll try to comfort her with something other than the breast when she stirs. Good luck to all.

Mine's 7 months old and still gets up 4-7 times per night. Co sleeping helps me be functional enough for work.

I think it depends on the baby. My 16 month old (yes, 16) is still up 2-3 times a night to nurse and always has been. He's starting to refuse nursing during the day, I wish I could reverse that! I'd give anything to have him nurse all day and not at night, but I don't think he's giving up those night time feedings anytime soon. We don't co-sleep, so he's not next to me all night. I thought that might be why he was waking so we tried co-sleeping but none of us slept.