Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I over feeding my baby??

Default Am I over feeding my baby??

Hi ladies,
    So my baby is almost six weeks old. At birth she was 6 pounds 8 ounces. She then went down to 5 lbs 13 ounces by day three and then regained her weight by week one and was 8lbs 4 ounces at her one month check up. Initially she was being breast fed and bottle fed (pumped breast milk) however now she is mostly getting bottles(breast milk only) due to my work schedule. Anyway when she gets bottles she takes around 4 ounces every 3-4 hours(at night going more like 5 hours). Although at times she will get an additional 1-2 ounces after 1 hour after her bottle maybe totalling somewhere between 26-30 ounces/day.Her doctor said she has had more then the expected weight gain and that I should limit her to no more than 24 ounces in a day so that I don't overfeed her. She never spits up and when she cries I try offering her a pacifier first, rocking her, changing her diaper,singing, swaddling and every other trick I can think of but when she continues to root/suck/cry I then just give her more milk and she then seems content. When I stick to the doc's recommended 3 ounces every 3 hours or 4 ounces every 4 hours I feel like I am torturing her as she screams uncontrollably. When I told my mom of what the doctor said she said that she fed all her kids whenever they acted hungry and we all turned out OK. Anyway I don't want to put my child on the path to childhood obesity but I also dont want to starve her. Won't she stop drinking when she is full or should I try to limit her intake as the doc suggested? 6 weeks seems a little young for a diet

Default Re: Am I over feeding my baby??

IMO your Doctor is wrong! Feed your little one as much and as often as she wants it! You can't overfeed a baby on breastmilk - unless they are spitting up in excess. Trust your instincts, and do what you think is best. At that age, infants grow at such varying rates, and growth charts are a guide only. Sheesh, that naughty doctor! You're doing great - keep up the great parenting! AND congratulations for breastfeeding and working at the same time - it's not an easy task.

I agree with prior post as well. Feed your baby when she's hungry. Don't worry about growth charts.

I'll add my voice to agreeing with Rochelle.

At my baby's four week check-up, he had weighed in at 10 pounds 7 ounces from his birthweight of 6 pounds 14 ounces. My pediatrician thought that that was great. If my kid's not on the path to obesity with nearly a pound a week weight gain, then yours certainly isn't.

Millie

My baby weighed 6lbs 13oz at birth, dropped to 6lbs 9oz at his 5 day checkup. At his 2 week checkup he weighed 8lbs 2oz. The dr told me that 16 ounces was great, but 25oz was great and a half! I agree with the above posts, you can't overfeed breastmilk. Great job!!