Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More baby-led issues

Default More baby-led issues

Ok, I know I've already had my freak out about the baby-led solid approach, but one more is on the way.. sorry in advance!! DD has thrown up EVERY time we try to let her feed herself. Mostly, she just gags a little and spits up, but the last two days, she's been getting really upset. I've been really careful to not freak out when she throws up (just say oopsies! clean her up and put a new slice of avocado on her tray) so i don't *think* she's just reading my reaction. We'll set her all up in the high chair, she'll smash food all over herself (to DF and my delight) then she tries tasting it, and almost immediatly pukes. The last few times it's made her cry and squirm to get out of her chair. We had a big throw up last night at dinner, and today she didn't even want to be near her chair!! I'm worried this baby led thing just isn't for poor DD...I really want this to work but I don't want her to be upset at meal time. what do i do ?? help please!!

Default Re: More baby-led issues

how old is baby?

You might try chucking the idea for a week and returning to it later.

she's 7 mos. This is our third return to this approach after taking breaks. If it's stressing my LO and me out, would it just be better to puree the food (she *LOVES* being fed from a spoon) and stop worrying about it? Also, I think I'd feel more comfortable with her daytime care providers doing the mush baby food, right now NO ONE (even DF...who is an EMT) is allowed to give her food unless I'm there. Do some babies just prefer to be fed mush? how long does it take for most babies to get the hang of real solids?

7 months is still very young.. does she have teeth?
    Sometimes babies like mashed up stuff beter but its realy not needed and just for practice untill 12 months. most of their callories should still come from breastmilk at 7 months.

she does have two teeth... I know the food we give now to be more for play than anything, so I'm not concerned about her intake (or lack of) of actual food and she's still BFing great. She is super interested in our food but seems like every time i let her feed herself she ends up overed in puke and crying. It's just not what i pictured when I decided baby led solids was the way to go. Maybe we'll start doing more of a mix...occasional "real" food and the pureed stuff to start getting more flavor experience?? what do you guys think? thanks for all the help!!

My twins gagged and threw up with chunky solids (even the Gerber 3 foods with rice in them) until they were well over a year old. My youngest didn't do that at all.

I think it just might be that your LO may not be ready to "chew" food yet. Seven months might be a tad early. You could either puree it and spoon feed for now, or wait a while longer and try again. You can always gradually make the purees chunkier until your LO is ready to chew on her own.

Lisa

P-T-M's daughter Addie gagged on just about everything she put in her mouth except Orgainic O's and Paper until she was almost a year...I thinks some kids are just more sensitive like that. I think it's important to be consistent and keep trying new things. I agree with Evin that is Ok to still put it away for a week at a time at 7months. That's VERY young. Your not falling behind or anything. We all only started experimenting with it at 6months. Also if it's truly baby-led there no reason to think she will be traumatized by the throwing up. She's not being force to eat. Right? She's CHOOSING to pick stuff up and put it in her mouth. Now if it makes her puke right now I'd venture to say it the wrong choice for her right now(that particular food). Next week try something different. I feel like if you look through our threads....Annie has pictures of Adeline Gagging on everything from spinach to peaches. SO you just keep trying different foods. Your baby will let you know she is done "trying stuff" in the highchair. If she doesn't want to be there just take her down. Don't give up but don't stress about it either. She's getting all she needs from you! Try watermelon if you can find it!

Way too lazy for formula

I'm sure you guys are right. Thanks for the advice. Just when I think I'm getting past the "new mama" jittery phase, something else freaks me out. I appreciate all the input. I worry poor Eden would be gorged on formula and rice cereal if it weren't for these message boards!! thanks!